Midi Keyboard CC Behaviour in IRV Tracks

Hello. First-time post from a long-time Sibelius user currently migrating to Dorico, with considerable excitement.

Anyway, I’m trying to set up some templates for my divisi instruments, for which I would like to use IRV tracks, but I’m have having some trouble with my live CC11 data for the separate parts.

I’ve experimented with both the in-built divisi function, and the use of voices, both of which utilise IRV, but these have led me to the same dead-end, with the inability to get my live CC11 data into the IRV tracks. I’m aware that I could hand-draw CC11 data into the IRV tracks, or just use separate players without any IRV at all, but neither of these is ideal for me.

In each experiment, I start with a fresh project using a single flow with a violin section player.

Experiment 1 - Using the in-built divisi function
Step 1: Play a note with CC11 from 0 to 127 (ish) on the midi keyboard in Bar 1. The live playback and recorded playback give an increase in volume, as expected.
Step 2: Start a Divisi in Bar 2.
Step 3: Turn on IRV in Play Mode.
Step 4: Notice how Staff (a) does not contain any CC11 data, and the regular playback no longer increases in volume.
Step 5: Record a note in each of Bar 2 and Bar 3, with CC11 from 0 to 127 (ish) on the midi keyboard, for Divisi 1 and Divisi 2 respectively. This live playback increases in volume, as expected.
Step 6: Notice that the CC11 data has not been saved to either Staff (a) or Staff (b), and the recorded playback does not increase in volume.
Step 7: Turn off IRV, and notice that all CC11 data has been recorded to the main violin instrument only.
Conclusion: The CC11 data is not recorded to the IRV Tracks, only to the master player track.

Experiment 2 - Using separate voices
Step 1: Again, play a note with CC11 from 0 to 127 (ish) on the midi keyboard in Bar 1, and again, notice that the live playback and recorded playback give an increase in volume, as expected.
Step 2: Record a note in Bar 2 through Down-Stem Voice 1, with CC11 from 0 to 127 (ish) on the midi keyboard. The live playback and recorded playback change in volume, as expected.
Step 3: Notice that both sets of CC11 data are recorded onto the main instrument in Play Mode.
Step 4: Turn on IRV in Play Mode.
Step 5: Notice that neither Up-Stem Voice 1 nor Down-Stem Voice 1 contain the CC11 data, and recorded playback no longer responds to the CC11 data already recorded.
Step 6: Turn off IRV, and notice that the CC11 data is back, and the correct playback has resumed.
Conclusion: The CC data did not transfer from the master player track to the IRV tracks when they were created.

I’ve made a quick video showcasing these two experiments.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum, Robert. I’m glad you’ve enjoyed getting to know Dorico so far. What should happen is that if you show the caret in Write mode and make sure that the caret is positioned on the appropriate staff and initialised to the right voice, then any automation you record should go into the appropriate track – but it turns out there’s one little missing piece that prevents that from working. We’ll fix that as soon as we can.

Unfortunately in the meantime I don’t think there’s a workaround you can employ – you’ll have to add the automation data manually using the drawing tools in the Key Editor instead for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience caused!

Thank you, Daniel. No problem at all, I’m most happy to use a workaround and wait for the fix. It’s a shame I can’t directly copy the CC11 data from track to track (with the notes, perhaps), as that would have been a reasonable approach too.

Anyway, I think it’s remarkable that Dorico can keep both the notation and performance plates spinning like this, so I’m happy to wait. :slight_smile:

~ Robert