Midi keyboard does not record or play instrument track

I have been trying to record using my midi keyboard using an instrument track but no sound is coming through the track. When I try to record it records nothing. I am using a Focusrite interface. Any help is appreciated.

Cheers
Ellis

It would be much easier to help if you provided some more (any, really) details …

What MIDI keyboard?
Instrument track in which version of Cubase?
What VSTi are you trying to get sound from?
… etc.

The more information you can give, the easier it is for people to help.

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

I am using a YAMAHA PSR 220 Midi keyboard. It was working fine previously but since the latest update it does not record tracks using any VSTs. I have tried to record Halion Sonic strings but no data is recorded. I am using the latest version of Cubase Pro, 13.0.40. The interface that I am using is a focusrite scarlet 4i4 and it records audio fine. When I insert Media Bay Midi tracks into my project that follow a chord track that use Halion Sonic strings they play fine. Record is enabled and all cable connections are fully inserted in there sockets. I have open previous projects where I have written data onto a halion track but now no new recording is possible on the track, although it does play the data that was previously recorded. The problem is I am unable to record any data onto any instrument tracks. Any guidance on this issue is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Ellis

Hi,

please check if MIDI Thru is enabled in the preferences under ‘MIDI’ as well as under ‘Record → MIDI’.

HTH, Chris

Hi Chris. Thanks for your response. I have checked and MIDI through is enabled along with record MIDI.

Cheers

Hi,

Double-check the Preferences > MIDI > MIDI Filter, please. By default just SysEx filter is enabled for both Record and Thru.

Do you use All MIDI Inputs on the track? Could you attach a screenshot of the Studio > Studio Setup > MIDI Ports Setup window, please?

Is the Record enabled in the track?

Can your see the MIDI Input Meter on the Transport Panel? Can you see the meters on the track?

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your input.

I have checked on what you suggested and all appears to be ok. I have attached a few screen shots.

With regard to meters there is no signal showing on the track… I am not familiar with MIDI Input Meter on the Transport Panel.

Please let me know if you have any more pointers.

Thanks in advance
Ellis

meter

meter

I have sorted the issue. My Mrs was cleaning and disconnected the Midi lead then plugged it into the wrong socket. I have just checked to find it incorrectly connected. I didnt think to check previously because I have never disconnected the Midi lead. Thanks again for your help. Is there a Cubase WhatsApp group or social media group to exchange ideas and get guidance?

Thanks again
Ellis

I was just getting ready to reply. Now I don’t need to. Thanks! :grinning:

Sometimes the most basic things can get overlooked. Glad you got it figured out! :sunglasses: