MIDI keyboard suddenly not recognised (new user)

Hi - installed Cubase Elements 7 today for the first time, so on a really steep learning curve…

I plugged in my Yamaha (E433) keyboard, and it worked as a MIDI input straight away. However, I was a bit disappointed with the VST voices that came with the software, so I plugged the keyboard into my soundcard with an audio cable (that had worked previously with a different application) and it didn’t work - I couldn’t receive any sound from it.

So I unplugged it and put the USB back in to use the MIDI again, but that didn’t work anymore, and I have not been able to get it to work…

I could easily have overlooked something very simple, but I have not been able to find a solution. Any help greatly appreciated.

Aloha g and welcome to the board. E’ Komo Mai’.

What happens if you restart Cubase AFTER plugging in the MIDI controller?

I say this because if you are using a PC as an ax, I have read on this board that users
can have probs when plugging/unplugging MIDI control devices without restarting
the Cubase app.

I’m on Mac so perhaps one of the many smart knowledgeable PC users here
can shed more detailed light on this topic.

Good luck!
{‘-’}

Thank you - unfortunately, it didn’t help, even after restarting the PC…

Forum guru curteye is right on the money about a similar issue to this a problem for PC users but now that you report that your midi keyboard device is not “working” after the PC and CB is restarted makes me think, like you said, it is probably a simple thing you are missing (probably step 6 below). So with that said, make sure you are doing this procedure to make it work:

1. PC is already booted
  2. Connect your keyboard midi to USB connection
  3. Turn on the keyboard
  4. Start Cubase
  5. Either on a midi or instrument track make sure to have “all midi inputs” selected
  6. Click on the track monitor button to hear the keyboard sounds

Now, hopefully at this point you will hear your keyboard. If not, try choosing a vst-instrument (any of them) and now, hopefully it will work. If still not working, check the E433 manual to see if there is a button or a combination of buttons that need to be pressed to activate the midi communication.

That’s all I have for now. Let us know how you make out.

Regards. :sunglasses: