MIDI Logical Editor: Select All notes I just recorded

In this case I’m recording overlapping poly legato lines with a Mural Patch.

I want to be able to select all the notes I just played so I can easily quantize and set them to the same velocity (that’s how the poly legato works). I usually record retrospectively.

It’s a bit of a pain to have to go in and select all the notes by hand.

Ideas?

(I thought I had the answer, but now I’m confused… I’ll explain later :wink: )…
Anyways…
What MIDI Record Mode do you have (bottom-left of the Transport Bar)?
If it is set to “Merge” (or “Mix”, if you are also Cycle recording), then the new recording will indeed get merged with what was already there, but if you change that to “New Parts”(or “Mix-Stacked”, if you are also Cycle recording) , the new recording will be in a separate, overlapping Part, which you can then of course edit separately from the existing Part.
Now… here’s my confusion (I very rarely use Retrospective Record, myself)…
Here, at least, when using Retrospective Record, a New Part is created, even when MIDI Record Mode is set to “Merge”.

Does any of that shed any light for you nonetheless? :wink:

If you’re using retrospect recording, then I’d suggest you place it on a new part or track set to the same instrument/plugin and channel. Then you can simply have your Logic Editor select ‘all events’ in the selected part.

You can merge your new material with other tracks easily enough in Cubase. One method is to simply place parts on top of one another on the same track. There are also methods to merge the parts into one on the same track, or onto a fresh new track (while preserving your original source parts/tracks).

As vic-france pointed out above…
If you’re using a recording mode that ‘merges’ what you are playing into an existing part, then your Logic Editor will have no way of knowing what was ‘last recorded’. If you like to record while the DAW is ‘cycling’, then you have a number of options on how it will store what you play with each new ‘cycle’.

I.E.

1. You can make it ‘merge’ with the existing part on the track with each pass.
  2. You can make it ‘replace’ the existing part on the track.
  3. You can make it create a new part with each pass, which can be unfolded in ‘lane’ views.
    And there may be more that I’m not remembering off the top of my head.

Don’t forget that you can bind pretty much any command in Cubase to any key-combos (In File/Key Commands…), or even MIDI event messages that you like (in Generic remote maps). You can even launch Logic Editor ‘presets’ in this fashion. So…binding some of this stuff to keys or MIDI events makes it easy to swap modes on the fly without digging around in the UI with your mouse.

Yea this is looking like the most logical way of doing this. I’m gonna keep researching and see what I find.

I’m mostly wanting this feature because I write a lot of contrapuntal overlapping lines using one polyphonic legato patch (in Mural), i’ll usually play these lines in and then hit my key for retrospective record before I hit ‘stop’. Mural organizes the legato split based upon constant velocity of each seperate part so the first thing I need to do is select what was just played and use on of my Logical editor commands to set all selected notes to a certain velocity (to separate any other material on the piano scroll. I’m just trying to save myself the time of having to go in a pick out the parts I just played.

I’ll update this when i find a solution.
Thanks!

If you like, you might could use a global Logic Editor to transform and set the velocity as you play it in.

Another option is to use MIDI channel instead of velocity levels to keep up with your different takes. Simply set the armed track’s input to channel any, and swap the channel on your MIDI controller for different takes and sort your ideas that way. Unless you freeze the track, the events will keep the original channel information in the part. Of course it gets translated live according to the MIDI ‘output’ channel of the track. Again, if the output is set to ‘any’ then Cubase will play it back through the same channels it recorded.

Also, I’m pretty sure that the retrospective record buffer keeps up with the actual channel that your MIDI controller was set for. So, if my theory is correct, you could just change the MIDI channel about on your MIDI controller itself and possibly save yourself a bunch of fiddling inside Cubase.

Just remember, if you freeze or merge any parts all the events inside will change to the output channel unless it is set to ANY.