Midi monitoring

Greetings Cubase Community…

I just crossgraded from Pro tools yesterday.
I’ve just been building a template so far, ignoring urges to close it down and fire up PT…
One thing I can’t seem to figure out is the midi monitoring…
Say I record a midi clip on an instrument track…
Do I have to hit the monitor button to hear it?..
I can hear anything I play on any other record enabled channel going through whatever is monitoring as well…

I’m sure it’s just some setting, but I can’t seem to sort it…
Thanks…

Hi and welcome,

Do you want to hear it as a Solo while Playback? Could you add a screenshot of your settings while playback (or doing the action)? Maybe we will see something just from the screenshot.

Hi…
Sorry… forgot about it and went back to pt when I couldn’t find the thread…

Tbh, I want to be able to record one track…then another, while hearing the first, with my keyboard just affecting the new track…then another while hearing the previous two etc…

I’ll try to post my settings over the weekend…
What should I be looking for in particular?..

Thanks…

Hi,

Disable Record Enable and Monitor button on the 1st (already recorded) track and enable both of them on the 2nd (recorded) track. Then you can hear what has been recorded already and record a new one (and monitor it).

Hi Martin…
Thanks…I think when I tried that the first one wasn’t playing back… I can’t hear anything track that doesn’t have the monitor button engaged…
I’ll have a look there again in a while…

Hi,

Is the MIDI track routed to an external hardware or to an instrument track?

They’re just instrument tracks with kontakt… not separate midi tracks…

Hi,

And can you hear the tracks while playback (no record)? Is any Solo or Mute involved? Could you click to the Deactivate All Mute States and Deactivate All Solo States buttons in the toolbar?

Ok…I think I have it sorted…
It was tape style monitoring…
I had had it selected but never hit apply by the looks of it…

Thanks for your help Martin…

Ah…I spoke too soon…

While I can hear them now alright, previously recorded tracks are responding to my mod wheel and cc11 changes when trying to record a new track?

Hi,

Are the other tracks Record Enabled?

Some screenshots would help. How does the project look like? How is the Preferences?

Hey…no, the tracks weren’t record enabled…
Ok so I took a picture of all the settings that might be relevant…

But ahh… it’s saying they’re too big to attach?..

Hi,

Maybe could you upload them to Dropbox (or similar) and share a link here?