MIDI notes outside of the part boudaries?

Hi,

I have a long part with long chords. When I make smaller the right end of the MIDI part, the notes inside will still sound after the part is ended.

How to disable this features so as to mute the notes when it reaches the end of the part?

thanks,
Baci

Hi Baci,

I’m afraid, there is no this kind of Preferences. You have to cut the note(s) manually as far as I know.

Then this is pretty strange.

Why do I get sound from a section of a MIDI part that is not available on the Project window? I would not call it a feature then… sounds more than a bug, I think this is not the expected behaviour. If a part is not there, notes inside should be cut as well.

Try this…
instead of dragging the end boundary, to make the part smaller, Split it at the desired point, making sure you have enabled the following option in Preferences…

Preferences>Editing>MIDI>“Split MIDI Events”

This will indeed “chop off” the trailing notes (placing the remainder of those notes into the new Part after the Split), then all you have to do is delete the Part that was created after the split.

For info, the reason that notes continue after a Part boundary, is because what Cubase actually “records” isn’t two separate events (a note-on, followed by a note-off), but just a “note-on”, together with its length. This is to ensure that, if you do cut and then mute/delete a Part while a note is still playing, it won’t lose its eventual note-off (and then hang on forever! :wink: )

Great, will try, thanks for the explanation!

An old thread but I want to add my thoughts on this.

As vic_france mentions, splitting parts is a way to work around this behavior. Unfortunately though, this reduces the usefulness of working with “shared copies” of midi parts.
Let’s say I have a part that repeats identically 8 times. Normally I would just make 8 shared copies so that I can keep editing the part. But what if I want every other shared copy of this part to be shortened by a forth? I can just drag the end of the parts that i want to shorten, unless the parts have long chords like OP which then will not work and thus I have to convert these parts to real copies.

No one probably cares about this but still, it would be nice if there was a tick box in options that makes all midi part end send not off messages for notes that are shortened.

Similar situation being experienced over here.

I cropped a midi part to only the notes I wanted to include in the part. Then when opening in the Key Editor, all the other white ‘inactive’ notes are showing outside the part.
Even after MIDI Bouncing!

Surely after ‘bouncing’ the midi, the inactive notes which were position outside of the active part should be no more?

This argumentation goes both ways. One could also tell you to do a proper job of adjusting the end position of the midi part and have overlapping parts where necessary. Please do not confound your personally preferred way of working with the “proper” way of working.

1 Like

No problem, here’s my opinion: I think the end of a midi part should be equal to note off for anything in that part.
But as we can see, there is a reason to have it the way way it currently works and there is a reason to have the way it used to work.
I find both reasons valid and the devs have to decide for one of them and against the other.

What I dislike is to call one the “proper way”.

1 Like

I congratulate you that you are the king of your castle. Outside of it, however, you are just one of many and each customer should be valued equally.

And to give you a taste of your own medicine: I am a Cubase user since the 90’s. I can assure you that for decades Cubase worked in the way that the end of the part was also the end of any notes inside that part. So the way it is done now is the improper for Cubase and Cubase should be restored to its original behaviour.
I am not really arguing like that, it is just an example. My personal workflow is still affected by this change, though. Often enough I have notes sounding and I wonder where they come from.

I could also say that the current behaviour is inconsistent in the way that audio parts/events stop to play at the end of the boundary but midi doesn’t. What you see on screen in the project is not what you hear.

And thanks for pointing out all the nice ways how you can work around that current behaviour but, as I stated before, it goes both ways. I can just tell you to keep the end part boundary at the end of the last note off.

As far as I am concerned not a single point of your reasoning makes your opinion more valid than the opinion of @zooterman , @bulle , and @Bacizone. It also doesn’t make it less valid, though.

Edit: I see that you changed your reply completely. I will keep my answer to your now invisible reply, though.

1 Like

What about shared copies? For many users It’s probably a useless feature, probably due to problems like this. I dont know about others but i would want shared copies to behave like audio clips as much as possible.

Your not thinking broadly enough. Imagine you write an 8 bar long midi clip with note progressions and want to use bar 1 in 4 other places of the track, bar 2 in 2 other places and so on. This can be accomplished with shared copies but with the limitation that notes may overlap wildly beyond the bars that the clips occupy. This would not be the case with audio clips.

Some posts were removed, and the topic has been closed.

Here’s a modern topic on the same subject though;