Midi Notes recorded ahead of playhead

Well, instead of claiming that “there is no problem for anyone, otherwise nobody would ever buy Cubase”, it seems that since this is the umptieth thread about this issue, that there seems to be SOME substance to the annoying abservation the OP made.

There you go again. I did not say “no problem for anyone…”

The EXACT quote is:

It’s not common. And it’s > not all > Cubase users. Otherwise no-one would use Cubase

Another “accidental” misquote.

Thanks for the report vexkiddy. I see you do not get the problem with a new computer build. Probably on the machine you got the problem it’s maybe one plug-in or even another application that is interfering with the usual time-stamping.
There’s a similarity of Cubase with Windows Explorer (not the browser but the OS maintenance and file-saver and window opener etc.) as Cubase imposes it’s own semi-OS over it’s territory from where it controls the editors and plug-ins etc. You can get odd stuff in Windows Explorer happening like messages saying “windows Explorer has stopped working” for instance which is caused by corrupt or out of date drivers preventing programs from working properly further causing a fall of the house of cards in your machine and giving effects that you may or may not notice depending on the timing of the initial event. Have patience. Although I talk Windows and you have a Mac there will be similarities of program build and OS.
Similar happenings can also effect Cubase, or any other app and Cubase taking over a fair amount of resource control would be more likely to be affected than say, Ableton (a speculation but it’s just an example), and therefore when you had a fresh install of Windows on a new machine you get a new polished and oiled engine and no gunk to mess up the works.
My (fairly informed) guess would be that reinstalling Windows on the older machine would see the end of that particular instance of the problem. Hopefully you would not see it again and I would never.

Read my last post. Steinberg can’t fix a problem caused by other drivers and applications crashing or corrupting.
THEY HAVE INDEED PLENTY OF MIDI TIME-STAMPING FOR A LONG TIME NOW WHICH WORKS FOR MOST OF US WITH “PERFECT” MACHINES!!! :mrgreen:

You can be sure that Steinberg thinks about it deeper than most posters here think about their problems other than to shout for Steinberg to fix it. :mrgreen:

Say what you want… In my case this problem is caused by the buffer size.
I also get an offset. 1/32 seems to be pretty exact the same offset when I set my
buffer to 2048 samples. The problem is gone when I set it to 32 samples.
I heard that the buffersize shouldn’t infect the recorded midi data.
Well, in my case, it does. The notes are recorded about a 1/32 earlier then…

Can’t tell why.

Best regards…

Edit: I get the feeling that there’s something wrong with the click.

Vexkiddy,

Have you tried going into Devices > MIDI Port Setup and putting a checkmark on “Use System Timestamp for ‘DirectMusic’ Inputs”? That fixed it for me in the short test I did.

Hope it helps!

Where’s that checkmark supposed to be?
I only see “Visible” and “In All Midi Inputs”…

It’s a PC only option.

Yes… Checked the “?”-Box. I see.

hey no1dabeats,

im using cubase 6 on a mac and ‘system timestamp’ doesn’t seem to be an option im afraid …

thanks though…

What I’ll try later on… check the samplerate of the onboard
in the audio-midi-setup and set it to the same that I use in Cubase.
This could be something… Because its happening randomly from project
to project. And I work with different sr’s sometimes.

I’m also on a mac and didn’t find the timestamp-checkbox,
'til I clicked on the “?”-button that said it is windows-only. :wink:

But lets keep on trying to fix this.

br

Aww, my bad guys. I didn’t know it was a PC only option.

Sorry :frowning:

Well, it’s amazing that Steinberg cannot fix this “third party” problem, whereas other programs can.

Have you tried picking the actual controller in the input-menu
instead of using All Midi Inputs?

Guys there´s this 19 pages long thread where we all exposed the thing. I suggest anyone having the issue to read the whole thread and try the different things that were mentioned. If you cant fix it after alll of this then you have the issue and the more you can do is:

• create a logical preset to move midi forward
  • stop using Cubase if it really pisses you off

And i guess there´s a third that involves making some kind of pressure to the Steinberg crew but honestly, it has been done before (check the 19 pages thread) and there´s no answer so, as it was said, its already a lost battle.

just reporting back…

installed more plugins on the hackintosh and ‘touch wood’ it is recording the notes in the correct way for the time being :smiley: … seems like a fresh install of any os on a dedicated audio machine is the way to go…

Yes. And the same people without a clue are turning up here shouting “Steinberg! Fix it! We KNOW what it is” as though they’re the experts?!! I suggest that anyone having the issue will mostly know F. All about computers and think any problem can be fixed by whining about it endlessly as loudly as possible. None of them gave any clue as to system specs or what they were doing.
Vexkiddy did and he’s getting on with FIXING it.

And her’s another wonderful insight into the general populations’ knowledge about computer programming. The full unabridged technical article. Of course it’s Cubase. Must be as this is such an expert post. He must be right. :laughing:

Well, it’s amazing that Steinberg cannot fix this “third party” problem, whereas other programs can

Well if Steinberg can fix this third party program I guess they can fix the Euro deficit as well.
Other programs DON’T fix it because they don’t get it because they are not as complex as Cubase.

All you moaners and whiners. Take note of how the USER can fix the problem with their computer.

Other programs DON’T fix it because they don’t get it because they are not as complex as Cubase.

How is this an argument in favor of Cubase :confused:
Complexity is no excuse for leaving bugs in.

Note that I don’t necessarily mean the midi problem here, wether that is a bug or not I can’t comment on.

Every program in the world has bgus sonny.
And it’s not an argument in favour of Cubase. It’s a simple statement of fact for those that don’t get it, who are mentally unstable and can’t stop moaning and whining. Not for you of course.

PS: That last sentence is a beaut, brahma. You only see that level of pirouetting expertise on this forum. :mrgreen:
You couldn’t make it up. I love it.

It’s a simple statement of fact for > those that don’t get it, who are mentally unstable > and can’t stop moaning and whining. Not for you of course.

I think there may be some borders crossed here. :unamused:

Could we please concentrate on finding a solution for the problem?
Whiners stop whining and people with constructive ideas stop whining about
whiners! What is this? Kindergarden?

I think its a problem with the click. Please face that this is a mac-problem…
Windows-solutions might not be possible.

Thanks…