MIDI Quirks: Easy Questions, Unless You’re Me

Hello all. I’ve been using Cubase for many years but have never used MIDI in any way until just a few weeks ago. I’m enjoying and making some good progress but am continually running into a few difficulties that I haven’t been able to work through or find solutions to with Google or forum searches. I’m quite certain the fixes are dead simple; please excuse my ignorance. I value conversation over the one-sidedness that internet searches anyway and MIDI is a bottomless pit of knowledge I’ve yet to gain.

1.) I’ve been primarily using instrument tracks to record instances of Arturia’s Analog Lab. When sifting through new tones for a new track, I find that sometimes a previously recorded track will jump to a different tone as well, with no easy way back to the original. What gives?

2.) Cutting a MIDI track mid-note: Do I need to bounce to an Audio track before splicing? This seems a little cumbersome but the cut notes are often not triggering at the beginning of the newly-created phrase otherwise. What am I missing?

1.) Use another VSTi track to “sift” through new tones.
2.) You need to describe what you’re trying to do in order for me (or someone else) to suggest a possible solution.

(not important)

The sentence should’ve ended with “tracks” because saying “to record instances of…” is a bit odd when talking about MIDI (it’s just my opinion).

I would’ve simply said: “When looking for tones/patches to use in another track”.

I don’t know how the plugin mentioned works but the bit about cutting tracks I think I know what you are doing. If you cut a midi track and the note starts in the bar before the cut it will exist only in the bar it started in. When cutting midi you need to make sure the notes at the cut point are quantised so they don’t end up in the wrong part or manually move them before cutting.

1 Like

Hi there,
this is probably caused by not changing the midi channel on the new track and/or VST instrument.
For example, you have the midi channel set as 1 for the first voice, then you create a new instance of the track by duplicating the first one.
When you change the voice in the newly created track it will also change the voice in the first track as they are both using the same midi channel. Make sure that you use a different channel per voice and also that the VST instrument is set to the correct channel. If you have the second track set to channel two but are sorting through tones in channel one of the VST then this kind of thing happens.
Hope that makes sense but I am finding it harder to describe than it actually is to do.

Roger that, thank you. I have been unclear on using separate instances of the same VSTi versus using separate channels. I’ll give that a go. I really appreciate the input!

Yeah, I was afraid that might be the case. The problem is that I’m often using improvised MIDI tracks as fodder for samples that I can draw from to knit back together as I see fit. If those tracks feature sustained pads or legato phrases, which they often do, grabbing a bar or two isn’t really feasible. I guess bouncing to an audio track might be how to do it after all.

Thanks so much all the same!

I’m simply trying overdub different MIDI tones on separate tracks but from the same instrument. Using different MIDI channels for each was suggested, which makes sense to me.

So much of recording is determining a workflow that jives with an individual’s creative process. I’m stoked to see what this MIDI injection creates but its certainly a little disorienting getting my feet under me.

I appreciate the help.