Midi Remote and CC control

Just upgraded to Cubase 12 I have been testing the new Midi remote perhaps there is something I am missing but I have a controller that has 16 knobs if I assign 8 of them to quick controls the other 8 become unusable in the normal midi learn function on a plugin, this feels a bit limiting the other functionality is great does anyone know how to get around this?

I really like the ability to switch between pages of scripts and would like to get pages set up for different aspects of my work flow but loosing half of the available knobs to control things outside of quick controls is currently stopping me.

I was also quite surprised to see that we still do not get smooth curve editing for events recorded via Midi CC what is the problem here? I mean when you assign your midi control to lets the say filter of a plugin you record and capture the midi data (I do really like that there is no longer a requirement to have a separate Midi channel for this) you pretty much have to edit point for point yes there is a line tool but that is pretty useless, however if you enable wright button on the plugin and just move the same filter you can can smoothly edit the automation.

Is there a reason why it is done like this yes I know I can just do it manually as described above but I would prefer to get the rough idea down from my control and then smooth out the bits of the performance that were not quite right

2 Likes

I have found that if I don’t mention a particular CC number in the the Midi Remote, it still works in the regular way.

i.e. don’t use the learn function in that controller. And if it’s already there, delete it from the visual template:

1 Like

Thank you that is good to know and I do appreciate you taking the time to reply , it will still cause an issue though if I then make another script page for the same controller I would only be able to assign 8 knobs to control lets say the mixer, hopefully if I am not alone on this it would be great if they could ad something like a pass through option so you can set up all 16 knobs assign 8 to quick controls have 8 as standard midi CC, and then use all 16 on the next script page.

I wholeheartedly agree with you and it has been requested in other threads.

I didn’t want to complicate your original scenario, but since you’re now mentioning it:

For a hybrid set-up, I’ve suggested a work-around in another thread:

1 Like

Thank you again, yes that is also very helpful to know, i was playing around with it some more last night, i have now come to the conclusion that although it would be nice to have the additional knobs work as normal, i can’t see my self manually assigning a CC number to a paramter given that the recorded automation is useless, so i have bitten the bullet assigned all 16 buttons to the script, and added more functionality to page 1, so i have the 8 quick controls as well as the selected chanel, volume and pan set up at the moment. Fingers crossed they either give us 16 quick controls or better CC automation in the future,

1 Like

What also works is to assign them to specific controls.

Its Just Like Midi Learn!!!

You don’t have to assign it to anything specific. Just right click on the control and assign it to the knob or whatever. Instead of that control responding to your CC, now it is linked in the MR. And it is separate from the FQCs and TQCs.

It would be nice if that specific control could be midiChannel(x).cc(y) because musicians use those to mean something for themselves, or they use a standards like Spitfire CC21 is vibrato.

Composers generally have their faders mapped to like 1, 11, 2, 21, 4 etc. Not always the same, but those CCs mean something. So once the fader is mapped, the track doesn’t have to be. With the way things are now, you can either use this way of doing things, and have your device set up once, or do an additional mapping on the track, Or don’t use the MR.

Some devices let you switch between different user banks, so that is a solution. But not a very satisfying one. What would be is if you could assign the CC directly in the MR definition, like you can in a Logic script. With Cubase you can’t modify the MIDI as it is going in from the script.

So that is really the useful feature that is missing. Because likely, the same reason that isn’t there is the same reason you can’t map it in the GUI.

The other workaround as suggested is to map the track quick controls to whatever midi you want. That is nice, but it doesn’t work on MIDI tracks, only instrument tracks because the quick controls through the MR do not make it to the MIDI track QCs. (neither does mute, solo, etc.)

So first and foremost, MIDI Track/MR functionality needs to be fixed.

Then, at least if you can map Quick Controls to, say, Pitch Bend, then you should be able to map an MR encoder to Pitch Bend. Anything you can map in the quick controls should be mappable in an MR.

That would be feature complete. You still wouldn’t be able to write transforms, but 90% of the reason people want that is for this reason. I’m not one of that 90%, but I can find other ways, right?

1 Like

Thanks for reminding me of this feature. It gave me occasion to try to dive a bit deeper into what the implications are.

I think for quick mapping of controls within a specific Project this adds quite a lot of value. Also maybe for users who work with very strict templates that rarely change.

But from what I’ve tested so far, it seems architected quite differently from the way the Generic Remote was able to map more things in the selected track, and/or very precisely by track and/or insert position.

The new way seems more aware of specific plugins (I assume by the unique VST identifier), but can still hook up a control to a newly created track.

That would seem to have some advantages, but also some drawbacks.

How exactly the MIDI Remote decides which Cubase control gets connected under which exact circumstances is still a little mysterious to me and I don’t recall having seen any documentation about it so far.

So that will take a lot more experimentation unless we get some additional hints :slight_smile:

The cool thing is, in the script I wrote for the Launch Control XL, I made it so that a knob would light up brighter when it is in pickup mode, and it captures the same position. I was able to set that to two rows of knobs on the device without mapping it to anything. Then when you are in the Cubase UI, you can click on pretty much everything and map it directly to the knob, and get this, The Pickup Light Up Feature Still Works!!!. Wow. So cool!

So really, for most of the script, I just needed to apply the Controller in the code, and then I could have done the assignments as Global assignments in the UI. That wont work with some of the controls I made, like switching on the pre filter and controlling the frequency with the same knob. Or chaining the slope of that filter with a slider that changes the colour of the very same knob. Or having the EQ slope type selection change the colour of the knob that selects it to match the type. Stuff like that is the only reason to delve into coding at all.

Everything strait forward is done with no need to map it. Most of the code I have seen is nice in that it loads right away, when you plug the device in, and some of it does sub-paging or has sideways sliders, or label fields, or something simple like that, but most of it could be done through the UI without any coding at all.

That is the truly amazing power of the MIDI Remote! That is it’s big selling point. You really don’t need anyone to write you a script, you can just go make the mappings yourself. And if you do get a script, and you don’t like everything it does, you can go change it in the UI without having to change the code.

I really don’t know how they did that. I have spent so much energy on doing this colour coded feedback stuff, but when you stop and look at the use case for like 90% of users, it is mind blowing.

1 Like

Hi @oqion, as I’m starting to set up a midi remote script for LCXL I would like to know if and how did you manage the ‘device’ button, to select mute/solo/start functions and the same for the ‘templates’ button’…
In my launchkeys mk3 scripts (mini and 61) I see a ‘activate subpage’ voice that I can’t find where to activate…
Hope I explained myself clearly…
Thank you for helping!
Art