Midi Remote "Meter All" scale?

How is the “Meter All” output from the Midi Remote scaled? It doesn’t seem linear and doesn’t follow the same curve as the fader control.

I have configured a Midi Remote script with two controls mapped to a channel’s “Volume” and “Meter All.” However, the output from those two controls doesn’t make sense when I compare it.

When I play in Cubase, I have the fader at a certain level, and the VU meter moves at a level slightly above the fader. The output value for the fader position is around 50, while the output value for the VU level is about 15.

I was expecting the “Volume” and “Meter All” to output the same value if the fader and the VU level in Cubase were the same, but that’s far from what’s happening.

How should I translate the “Meter All” output to get a percentage of the max VU level? Simply dividing the output level by 128 gives a value that is way too low, at least at lower VU levels.

Hi,

It’s working the same way, you can see in Cubase.

The Meters depend on the current signal level. By Volume, you can change the level relatively.

What I’m trying to say is that it doesn’t work the same way as what I see in Cubase.

Moving the volume fader from 0 to max will send increasing values from 0 to 127 from the control mapped to the fader.
Having meter levels rise from 0 to max will send increasing values from 0 to 127 from the control mapped to the meter.
So far, so good, but the problem is that everything in between doesn’t match. If I set the volume fader in the middle, it will send a midi value of 64. If I have a meter level in the middle, it will send a midi value of around 20.
Why doesn’t the level meter output have the same value as the fader level output when both are at the same visual level in Cubase?

Hi,

As far as I know, the MIDI Remote sends the value in the range from 0 to 1.

We can’t be talking about the same thing. You can’t send a midi value “in the range from 0 to 1”.

I have configured a Midi Remote control mapped to the “Meter All” for the channel. That control sends Control Change messages in the range 0 to 127. When the Cubase level meter is halfway up the scale, that control sends midi value 20, not midi value 64 as expected.

The meter could have a logarithmic scale?

Exponential, rather. It makes a dramatic catch-up when reaching higher levels.

My observation: The “Meter All” function outputs the level of the current audio signal during playback, “Meter Max.” the cumulative peak value. The level scaling is -∞ (real -86) to +3 dB, higher level values are clipped. The range corresponds to a MIDI CC range from 0 to 127 with 96 as the calibrating point (0 dB).

The midi value 96 for the 0 dB level seems to match my observations, and that value alone highlights the problem.
Midi value 96 is 75% of the max value 127, but the 0 dB level in Cubase is at 91% of the visual meter. If I want to mimic the visual appearance of the Cubase level meter based on the sent value, I cannot use the raw received value as a percentage since it does not use a linear scale.
That leads back to my original question: What scale (probably exponential) is used for the “Meter All” output?

Hi,

I believe this depends on the Project Setup > Other Project Settings > Volume Max.

Approximately a polynomial curve function, but with the discontinuity point at 3 dB (clipping).

But there is no setting “+3 dB”, just “+6 dB” and “+12 dB”:
Volume max

Besides that, I’ve set it +12 dB and get the clipping at +3 dB, too.
Also, it doesn’t matter if you change the Meter Scale in the Master section.

1 Like

There was a discussion some time ago, not sure if it would be helpful in your case.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s pretty much the same approach.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone. I managed to get a number of sample points and interpolate between them, which works well enough.