MIDI Remote with multiple input ports?

For many years I have used Track Quick Controls to receive MIDI from a Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol keyboard. On the Track Quick Controls page in Studio Setup, I have the MIDI Input set to All MIDI Inputs, because the keyboard sends MIDI CCs via two MIDI ports: KOMPLETE KONTROL - 1 (for CCs originating from the keyboard’s built in controls) and KOMPLETE KONTROL - EXT 1 (for CCs originating from an external controller that plugs into the keyboard’s MIDI In port). And I have not specified a MIDI Output, as it is not applicable.

On the Track Quick Controls page, there is a warning that “The Setup provided on this page will be discontinued. Please use MIDI Remote in the lower zone of the Project window.” OK, so it looks like, instead of Track Quick Controls, I will eventually have to use a MIDI Remote mapped to Focus Quick Controls. However, for a MIDI Remote, there appears to be no way to specify All MIDI Inputs or multiple specific input ports, only a single input port. Furthermore, the MIDI Remote Manager also insists that an output port is specified, and I do not know what I should put for that.

Hi,

You can do so, if you write MIDI Remote JavaScript code.

1 Like

To be honest, it’s easiest to just create two separate MIDI Remotes for each MIDI Port. It’ll give you more flexibility then too as you could have one controller focused to a different element or page if wanted. Or just leave them both on focused/track controls.

2 Likes

Hi,

In this case you cannot combine both devices for one Mixer Bank Zone. By using one script you can do so.

Oh,I presumed as they were using KONTROL-1 and EXT-1 that they would be using the factory Komplete Kontrol mixer view for volume/mixing banks. Dangerous of me, admittedly! :slight_smile:

@Martin.Jirsak, thanks. As I’m an experienced programmer, I expect I could make a script myself. However, I’m in no rush: so long as Track Quick Controls is still supported, it is completely adequate for my needs. So, for now, I shall wait for Native Instruments or another user to provide a script.

There’s much confusion about this on the Native Instruments forum at Are Midi Remote Scripts for Komplete Keyboards and Maschine in Cubase Planned, with NI staff initially unaware of the changes in Cubase 12 and, at time of writing, still not promising to provide scripts. We shall see what happens.

@skijumptoes Martin is correct, the two KOMPLETE KONTROL MIDI input ports need to act as one for me. So my understanding is that having two MIDI Remotes will not work in this context.

1 Like

Actually, i ran into some issues with multiple port devices in remote-script editor.

It seems that it works until 2 controls are mapped to the same input channel / Midi control (but different ports).

I tried to explain this here:

Cheers,

Thomas

Thanks, @thomas_martin. That sounds like all the more reason why I should stick to using Track Quick Controls for now.

In @Martin.Jirsak’s first post,

You can do so, if you write MIDI Remote JavaScript code

would be the technical answer to my question, provided there is also fix for the problem raised by @thomas_martin. However, thinking about it, I don’t find it to be a satisfactory solution, which is no reflection on Martin. The problem is that something that can be achieved simply by selecting an option in Quick Controls can apparently only be achieved in MIDI Remote by writing Javascript code. That would be a step backward from the perspective of ease of use.

If a Steinberg staffer were to be able to reply with an assurance that Quick Controls will not be removed from Cubase till an easy way to specify multiple or all input ports for a MIDI remote (or equivalent functionality) is implemented, I would mark their contribution as the solution.

1 Like

MIDI Port selection on the MIDI Remote was really not thought out well at all, to start with you couldn’t even change the port via the interface once created.

In fact, I’m not entirely sure how you do it now, just seems really cumbersome to me. Just needs a basic MIDI port selector, and include ‘all’ as an option to ensure that the previous options are covered.

Exactly!