MIDI send on an instrument track

Does anyone know how to replicate or create a midi send in an instrument track?

I need to use the midi transformer plugin but it must be on a send, not an insert.

Thanks

1. MIDI Sends only exist on MIDI Tracks not Instrument Tracks

2. You should be able to load the MIDI Transformer into an Insert just fine

Yes thanks - but as I said, I don’t want to load It as an insert - it won’t do what I want it to do if I do.

I want to transform a specific cc when received in the midi signal but send it to an alternative midi out, which I can do as a send but it’s in as an insert it still goes to the instrument track VSTi.

Then you’ll need to replicate the Instrument Track as Rack Instrument/MIDI Track combo and move your MIDI Parts onto it. That’s the only way you’ll get MIDI Sends.

FWIW, “can’t” usually implies unable to, rather than don’t want to.

I don’t quite get what you’re trying to do, but it sounds like whatever it is, it might work better if you put the midi on a midi track, then have sends or outputs from there to the instrument track and any other tracks that you want to send the midi to. If it’s a problem that a midi insert is being bypassed when using a midi send (although you seem to saying the opposite of that), I generally fix that by using an IAC midi device on the Mac to route the midi back into cubase through a virtual midi input, and thus through the midi insert. This also works for drum maps.

Thanks for the replies.

For some context - I have a template of 1200 tracks, a mixture of midi tracks feeding to VEPro, instrument tracks, and then some audio tracks configured for standard inputs, like my guitars, bass and piano.

I use the midi tracks with VEPro primarily for multi articulation multi instrument libraries and I use the instrument tracks for

Don’t leave us hanging like that :slight_smile:. Now we’ll never know what you’re trying to do.

Thanks for the replies.

For some context - I have a template of 1200 tracks, a mixture of midi tracks feeding to VEPro, instrument tracks, and then some audio tracks configured for standard inputs, like my guitars, bass and piano.

I use the midi tracks with VEPro primarily for multi articulation multi instrument libraries and I use the instrument tracks for Single articulation libraries and synths et cetera.

I also have a OSC controlled touch screen that has a load of functions and also a set of buttons mapped to articulations on a comprehensive set of expression maps.

So the reason for the MIDI send :

I have a generic Remote that responds when a track is selected. It is configured to send a MIDI CC value out to my OSC touchpad (when a track is selected) which then responds back with a midi message to the track. This response is read by the transformer plugin on the send and the plugin is to triggered to send a further midi CC with a certain value (between 0 and 127) back to the OSC which then allows the OSC identify the track.
This plugin must sit on the midi send so that it can send to the OSC midi device. If it sits as an insert the response trigger from the transformer goes to the midi track and not to the OSC touch panel.

It sounds complicated but is really quite simple, and it therefore allows the OSC touch panel to populate the articulation buttons with the correct text for the expression maps, Quick control labels, and other various track specific buttons.

Therefore I need a midi send equivalent on my instrument tracks to replicate the midi track behaviour.

Sorry posted too early!

In that case, Raino’s answer is the right one. Like he said, IMHO you’re being too restrictive in your thinking about “The plugin must…” and “I need…”.

Words I never thought I’d type - in your situation maybe it makes sense to use only MIDI Tracks.

Could you use an Insert instead of a Send and use MIDI channels to control which destinations hear what messages. Like, Ch1 > OSC and Ch2 > VSTi perhaps in conjunction with some virtual MIDI cables.

You might want to go to KVR and check their database for MIDI Routing tools.

It is puzzling that after so many years the only thing MIDI Tracks have that Instrument Tracks don’t is the Sends.

The bottom line is: there is no way to get Cubase to transmit midi out from an instrument track, right? However, it might be possible to replace the instrument plugin with some kind of a chainer plugin, like Element, that does the job of hosting the instrument AND echoing the midi to OSC. I haven’t tried it though.

Otherwise, the transformer midi insert must be on a midi track. That midi track transmits midi to both the instrument and the OSC. It’s easy to accomplish that. In other words, I don’t think you’d need any special midi routing tools to accomplish this.

MIDI sends on an instrument track is something I’ve been asking for for years now. That would make it possible to stack instruments like you can do in other DAWs, without resorting to using midi tracks. In the meantime, the answer to the question from the OP is: use a midi track.

I think I may have found a solution…

A bit of testing tonight and I will post back tomorrow. It’s a bit messy but it seems to work…

Find the solution ? I’m searching the same thing

it’s a bit clumsy but try to follow:

• Set up a midi track duplicate of each of your instrument tracks (which you can then hide/collapse in a folder as they are not connected to an instrument )
  • set the midi in of the new midi track to receive from the midi out of the instrument track.
  • You then put the Transformer midi send on this midi track configured to send a cc value that you’ve chosen in your OSC custom module to identify the instrument track.

Then, when you select the instrument track, the Generic remote triggers Cubase to fire out the cc to OSC which the duly responds. That response goes into and then through the instrument track, out of the midi out of it’s VSTi and into the duplicate midi track. This midi track then sends (via the transformer in the normal way) the ccvalue back to OSC.

This method will work I think with any instrument in the instrument rack that has its midi out turned on.

Hope that’s clear?!