Midi Sequence Problem

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum but I am engaged in music for decades. I am having some difficulties with “midi”. I have 4-5 hardware synthesizers and their output is connected to mixer. I am trying to control my external synth’s with midi from Cubase. But the problem is some of the midi data is getting mixed up. For instance there is two different midi track which have their own midi clip, when they are playing as solo there is no problem but if I play both midi track at the same time, some of the data is being mixed up while both tracks are at different midi channel. I got Ableton live, and I encounter this problem in that too.

Q: Is there some kind of midi bandwidth?
Q: Can I improve midi buffer size at preferences in Cubase?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for my bad English.

Hello,

Wht are you using as MIDI device? How do you send MIDI data from Cubase (computer) to all your MIDI devices? You should youse just some of MIDI channels of all your instruments (for exaple 1-3; 4-6; 7-9; 10-13; 14-15). Or you should use any device whith more MIDI ports (like MOTU Express, or M-Audio Midiposrt 8x8). Than you can use all MIDI channels for all MIDI devices. You will distribute the signal by MIDI ports.

Thanks for quick reply. I am using profire-610 soundcard, for midi in and out, also there is midi thru-splitter, but the problem is if I create only two midi track and send first of them to my hardware synths, and send second one to another midi channel 1-16 different from first ones midi channel, my synth (first midi track) gets affected by the second one. I should mention that, it is running with no problem when you are sending basic midi data, like C4 for every quarter note, but when using detailed automation etc. driftings, delays, random notes occur regardless of midi channels.

How are your MIDI devices set-up? Can you describe your connection, please?

Are you using settings of MIDI output in the track? If you have All or Any MIDI channels on input, it depends on the MIDI note, which you are transmit. If there is settings of MIDI channel in the track, all events (data) are transmited with this MIDI channel from the track settings.

My setup is like this:

Cubase–>Profire 610 (Midi Out)—>(Midi In) Synthesizers (Audio Out)—>(Audio In) Analog Mixer (Audio Out)—>Monitors

Yes, I am aware of midi channel and I assign different midi channel for different synths.

Problem is: If I play two different midi tracks with two different midi channels and if both have lots of information like cc automations and lots of chords with voicings, one of the midi channel gets corrupted.

Have a look in your synth manuals at Local Control OFF!.

There is no such thing as a Local Control Off at any of this at manuals, but I have tried every combination at synth menus, also I checked out “local control” at internet, I am not routing any midi out from synths to computer so I don’t have anything to do with it. I thing problem is related to soundcard, there must be some kind of bug.

What about other HW synths? How are they connected? Are you using all synths together? Or just one at the moment?

Local Off is about sending MIDI data from the keyboard of your synth to the tone generator, and then to the MIDI Output (if the Local Control is On); or from the keyboard directly to the MIDI Out - and from Cubase back to the synth (if the Local Control is Off).

I am trying to use all HW synths together, but failing at it. They all connected from my soundcards midi out to “Eight output midi thru box” to my synth’s midi input.

Have you tried just chaining through the keyboards MIDI thru:- In>Thru>in>thru>In>Thru etc, etc…

Problem doesn’t lay there, I still encounter this problem without using lots of midi and lots of synth, If I use only 2 midi channel, one of them connected to HW synth and the other one is not connected anywhere, my hardware synth sound gets corrupted because of other midi channel,

I wanna show some example, I got 3 midi tracks, the green one goes to my HW synth with midi channel 1. Red ones goes nowhere just stays in channel 2. When I play only the green one (my synths part) everything seems okey. But when I include red tracks my sound gets distorted profoundly

Are your synths set to ‘listen’ to only 1 MIDI channel exclusively as input, or are they (in use as) multi-timbral?

If you are sending exactly the same notes (copied channel) on one MIDI channel, it could be flanged or distorted by the instrument. Is your instrument multi-timbral?

I am assigning my synth from its menu to specific midi channel and sending it from Cubase at that channel. Please I told 3 times at above that I am using different midi channel settings for my synth and I am not newbie to forgot and miss that.

I am not sending the exactly same notes on two different channel to synth’s midi channel, I am sending very basic sequence like : “C4 to every quarter note” on one midi channel, but when i introduce another midi track (different channel from synths midi channel) my synth gets affected by it, my question is how can my synth can get affected by a midi from different track even though they are not in same midi channel?

Sorry for trying to help. Good luck!

OK, one very essential question again: Is your synth in multi-timbral mode? If it isn’t this could be the way, how can your synth can get affected by a midi from different track even though they are not in same midi channel.

If you will send different events from different channels to the insturment which is not multi-timbral, it will interpret it, as receive one channel only. So, this is very important! This is not on the transmit side, this is on the receive side.

Also are you still sending midi through your midi thru box?

Does it do this if you just have one keyboard connected directly to the midi out?

Does your midi thru box have a midi merge facility?

You see what I’m getting at?

OK, one very essential question again: Is your synth in multi-timbral mode? If it isn’t this could be the way, how can your synth can get affected by a midi from different track even though they are not in same midi channel.

I don’t think my synths are multi-timbral, they all are monophonic analog synths,

If you will send different events from different channels to the insturment which is not multi-timbral, it will interpret it, as receive one channel only. So, this is very important! This is not on the transmit side, this is on the receive side.

Ok, I think we are in the right place, so why is this happening? Why does my synth gets affected by all midi channels although it is assigned to specific midi channel?

I encounter this problem without midi thru box, it does not have midi merge facility, it has 1 input and 8 output.

Ok, I think we are in the right place, too.

All this is because your instruments are not in multi-timbral mode. It means, your synts can’t receive and play data on different MIDI channels simultaneously. All your received MIDI channels are combined to one channel only. So your synth is using only one channel, and therefore it is playig just one instrument, which is affected all transmited channels.

But it is not a way of combine, I don’t hear other midi channels information, It happens like this, when two simultaneous midi channel is on the run, one of them ruin other in non musical-way, its like notes stuck, or drift, timing changes slightly,