MIDI Tempo Detection

Hi guys!, I’m a bit lost, and any help would be really appreciated!.

I’m having troubles to get MIDI tempo detection to work.
I select a Midi part, open the Tempo Detection panel, click on Analyze button, which puts Cubase on the warp tool, but nothing else happens.
I watched a couple of youtube videos and went over the Cubase documentation, and as far as I understand, it should create a Tempo and Signature tracks, but none of those are happening for me. Tempo track is activated, but nothing is added there either and all the options in the panel are still grayed out.

The Midi part is just a live piano recording, nothing too crazy.

Am I missing something?

Cubase Pro 9.5.21

Thanks a lot!

There’s one more thing- the midi part needs to be set to Musical Time base - though that is not mentioned in the manual. (So I do wonder if it’s supposed to be that way.)

Hi Steve!, thanks for the answer.

That actually makes a lot of sense, but unfortunately, it seems it was already on Musical mode.
To make sure, I went and created a new project from scratch, did a quick recording, made sure it was turned on, but still no luck.

Weird thing is, if I render the midi in place and process the audio instead, it actually works just fine.
And the most strange thing is, just for “fun”, I clicked on Analyze like ~25 times, and it finally worked! :stuck_out_tongue:
I could even undo it and click again for like 25 times and it worked again, so I suspect there must be some sort of issue in there.

Nonetheless, I can’t stress how much I love this feature :smiley:

Yes, it works really well on Midi.

I’m not seeing the problem you’re describing, and it should just work. You should check to see if there’s a preferences corruption by Starting up using Cubase Safe-Start mode by holding down ++<shift. while launching Cubase, and try the feature again.

I tried starting in safe mode, and indeed, things started working as expected :slight_smile:
Not sure what was happening before, there seemed to be some strange random behavior, but in any case, I’ll keep using it, and if anything weird happens again, I’ll update here.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Please run Cubase in Safe Start Mode again and click the Delete program preferences button. You don’t need to use Safe Start Mode every time you run Cubase.