MIDI Tempo Detection

Hi guys!, I’m a bit lost, and any help would be really appreciated!.

I’m having troubles to get MIDI tempo detection to work.
I select a Midi part, open the Tempo Detection panel, click on Analyze button, which puts Cubase on the warp tool, but nothing else happens.
I watched a couple of youtube videos and went over the Cubase documentation, and as far as I understand, it should create a Tempo and Signature tracks, but none of those are happening for me. Tempo track is activated, but nothing is added there either and all the options in the panel are still grayed out.

The Midi part is just a live piano recording, nothing too crazy.

Am I missing something?

Cubase Pro 9.5.21

Thanks a lot!

There’s one more thing- the midi part needs to be set to Musical Time base - though that is not mentioned in the manual. (So I do wonder if it’s supposed to be that way.)

Hi Steve!, thanks for the answer.

That actually makes a lot of sense, but unfortunately, it seems it was already on Musical mode.
To make sure, I went and created a new project from scratch, did a quick recording, made sure it was turned on, but still no luck.

Weird thing is, if I render the midi in place and process the audio instead, it actually works just fine.
And the most strange thing is, just for “fun”, I clicked on Analyze like ~25 times, and it finally worked! :stuck_out_tongue:
I could even undo it and click again for like 25 times and it worked again, so I suspect there must be some sort of issue in there.

Nonetheless, I can’t stress how much I love this feature :smiley:

Yes, it works really well on Midi.

I’m not seeing the problem you’re describing, and it should just work. You should check to see if there’s a preferences corruption by Starting up using Cubase Safe-Start mode by holding down ++<shift. while launching Cubase, and try the feature again.

I tried starting in safe mode, and indeed, things started working as expected :slight_smile:
Not sure what was happening before, there seemed to be some strange random behavior, but in any case, I’ll keep using it, and if anything weird happens again, I’ll update here.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Please run Cubase in Safe Start Mode again and click the Delete program preferences button. You don’t need to use Safe Start Mode every time you run Cubase.

I found that Tempo Detection for a MIDI event works… until I open the event in the Editor window. After that I cannot get it to work. Cubase 12.0.70 on Windows 10.

What exactly doesn’t work? Tempo Detection?

Yes. Tempo Detection of MIDI stops working for me once I have opened the clip in the editor.

1 Like

Hello,
I have the same problem with Midi tempo detection but scare so much to delete my preferences.
Could i save them somewhere as a back up ? is there a way to investigate which of preference could bug/clash with my midi tempo detection, i found it weird that preference choice could create a bug…

anyway thanks for your time reading, hoping to have answer

cheers

You should be able to bypass the preferences when you do a safe mode start of Cubase. I’m not sure it helps though, but you can try. Or, just do your tempo detection as soon as you open the project, and before opening the editor window.

1 Like

I have this issue too in latest version of Cubase 12.0.70 on a Mac.

It’s so frustrating when the basic ‘bread and butter’ stuff doesn’t work…yet they come out with all these new features I could really care less about.

The way I figure out how to get around it is I just render the midi to audio, and do the tempo detection on that. You can just delete the audio after, if you still want to work in midi.

I can confirm that this is still an issue in 13.0.10.

Every release of Cubase tempts me back in, and then drives me back out when little things like this don’t work. That said, this is definitely the best release yet in my opinion. The changes to the window-compliance are worth their weight in gold.

Cubase 12.0.07 on PC. Same issue, if midi editor has been opened, tempo detection does not work.
One workaround is to save then close the project and Cubase, then as mentioned by lahatte, select the midi part and use tempo detection immediately on reopening.