MIDI Tempo Mapping: advice needed [and got]

Yeah, I did have to get my thinking cap on with those early notes. I ended up just dragging 103 to somewhere about right but beyond the start of any note I wanted to keep, put the cursor there and pasted. Once I’d glued the part back together it was a simple matter to re-position 103 properly.

(not that you need it any more :wink:, but)…
This one is slightly more elegant (and solves the problem with the end of bar #103)…

1. Set L & R Locators to bars #104 to 105, and put the Play cursor at bar #104
  2. Edit menu>Range>Global Copy
  3. Edit menu>Range>Insert Silence
  4. Edit menu>Paste (so now we have bars 104 to 105 duplicated)
  5. Range Tool> Drag barline at bar #104 as far as you can towards the end of that bar (to give the Range tool some maneuvering space for the next step)
  6. Range tool>Drag barline at bar #103 till it is correct (i.e. showing the contents of the previous bars 102 and 103)
  7. Go back to the regular Select tool, and set L & R Locators to bars 103 to 105 (in fact, the R Locator should already be there :wink: )
  8. Edit menu>Range>Delete Time.

Yeah, nice one, Vic, that works very neatly. My thanks again for your efforts (you do realise that all this brain-power expenditure is probably making a significant contribution to global warming in your area, don’t you…).

Cheers,
Crotchety

:laughing:

In the Cubase 8 manual under “Merge Tempo From Tapping (Cubase Pro only)” it reads if you activate “Begin at Bar Start” the first note will automatically start at the beginning of a bar which is not what I am experiencing as to what that does. This messed me up pretty bad since I kept expecting those results thinking I was doing something wrong. It will actually start the markings at the start of the MIDI region rather than at the first note of the MIDI event.

Attached are the results of the tempo mapping based on MIDI notes if I don’t have “Begin at Bar Start” checked it lines up right with the notes as I wanted rather than the offset of the region but based on the notes. Not exactly sure why you would want that but options are always good. Seems like the checkbox should read “Begin at region start”. It also always throws in a time signature of ¼ regardless of if you have quarter notes, half notes or whole notes etc. selected for the tapping.

Also the audio track was because the MIDI for whatever reason seemed to be a little less accurate then if I just recorded drum sticks which is what the audio file is and then I created the MIDI from the audio file.