Midi timing suggestion on recorded VST instruments.

I’m right now using the slight simpler workaround Niles presented on page 14. To me it already became a habit using a hot key to push the notes. I like this one since the start and end of the actual part won’t move, it will stick to the grid, or as it placed while pushing record. Only what’s inside the part will move. :wink:
Also I don’t know any issues with this one.

I call the key… “The - make it sound a little bit more like how I played - button”. :laughing:

Yes indeed, because of that I used a preset too.
I did not managed to use the Transformer for this, because I thought the transformer processed its rules after the MIDI was parsed. Are you actually saying you managed to use the Transformer to parse the notes a little later in realtime without affecting the audio output?

In other words, you won’t get this when you use the transformer?
Key stroke → normal latency → added latency (by tranformer)

That would be fantastic, what rules did you use?

Therefor a better way would be to delay only the playback audio signal, except the live played track. I did not find a trick for that though (except from routing to groups of course).

:sunglasses:

To Dylan and others,

I apologize here. This reply above was intended to be a very sarcastic reply to someone who is “out of step” with straight thinking. Conman did not hijack the thread.

To others on this forum, I agree with Dylan, just ignore Conman and Yer Mom. They bring no value to this forum. Well, perhaps Conman tries to, but he needs to be a bit more humble and realize that he doesn’t know and understand everything.

I’ll show you how much I understand. There are three main issues with Cubase and MIDI;

1. When recording MIDI, it either doesn’t record, records intermittantly or stacks all the notes at beat 1.

2. When recording MIDI, it sounds in sync while recording but after you hit stop all the MIDI data is shifted early on the grid, result being no sync.

3. When recording MIDI through a VSTi and recording the resulting audio live, in real time, the audio records later than the MIDI which is correct on the grid.

There are different settings to cure all of these. They’ve been covered multiple times both here and on the old forum. I know, I’ve answered a majority of the questions.

I’ve tried helping you mopes by telling you it’s been covered on the forums, in the KB and in the manual, but because I don’t spoon-feed you like mommy does, you get pissed at me. Get off your lazy a s s e s and find the answers for yourself. There’s no bug with Cubase, only between your ears and theres plenty of space for 'em too.

Excellent tool, I did not know that this was possible. All his posts are now hidden :smiley: , thanks for the tip!

Resistance is futile! :laughing:

Just proves my point. Not only won’t people familiarize themselves with the manual, Stickies, the KB and the videos before posting or using the software, they won’t even do it with the forum. They need to be spoon-fed. :wink:

Now I agree with your points. We just had a difference in approach to explaining to the unexplainable. :mrgreen:

Somehow I expected more of the knight he still says (presumably after having looked at the screenshot) that it is the midi that is late and “it’s nothing to do with audio”. But how come the LATE track is A WAVEFORM and not midi data?

Mind you, setting up such a recording scenario looks to me to be more effort than it’s worth which is why the words “wind up” are in the back of my mind.

It is a forbidden, unwritten, law on the forum that you have to be really nice to the little gang who insist on insulting anyone who points out a solution to their problem that makes them feel a little foolish even if that is not the case.
They don’t start looking like dolts until they start insulting others.
The beauty of resorting to the children’s playground foe list is that they’ll know even less of what goes on.
And they won’t know of course because they’ll never see this. :mrgreen:

I don’t tell you lot how to behave. I don’t insult you. I don’t know everything. You do. Which is why YOU have the problem and I don’t.
I’m already humble. It’s people who tell me I need to be humble need to be less uppity especially when I’ve got a handle on the solution and they haven’t got a clue.
Jeez! And what a greasy retraction that was. Greasier than a chip shop’s drain.

The stupid always resort to insults when they feel outnumbered by simple logic. You guys are out of step with a few hundred thousand users who can’t be a55ed to help you.

For the fact that the MIDI gets printed in teh clip 1/32th or whatever early, regardless of how you record it, there is no fix for that, otherwise people would use it.

Yeah. Nobody records midi. Ever! Whateverrrrr.
What’s that supposed to mean exactly?
MY midi turns up where I want it and so does a few hundred thousand other users.

An official statement would be very welcome right now.
I don’t believe that the midi early notes are due to “timing compensation from the players hand”
I really think there is something going wrong in the chain.

Why?

1. Because if it is timing compensation then it looks that my compensation is really sample accurate consistent.
  2. Not everyone is experiencing the same behaviour.
  3. s.o.s. Magazine discribes this as a mailfunction with certain drivers etc.

So can Steinberg shed a light on this please?

Dylan.

Well, I am taking the plunge to upgrade my Presonus Firepod to RME Fireface 800. I am hoping that the RME DirectMusic MIDI drivers will tighten up the placement of the MIDI notes.

My suggestion to all is to understand how your MIDI note placement behaves using the simple keyplunk test. If the MIDI note is in sync to the keyplunk audio, then you can eliminate that variable.

This thread is assuming there is no issue with the proper MIDI placement. Note that in the screenshot example, his keyplunk and MIDI are in proper sync. The thread OP wants the MIDI note that was properly placed to be adjusted to account for the VSTi latency.

Dylan, have you tried the keyplunk test? Is the audio and MIDI in sync for you? My MIDI is actually late by around 10 msec. For some MIDI drivers, I believe the opposite could be true and you get early MIDI.

Yes there is, I have that issue with my kit if I don’t configure Cubase correctly. Manifests itself mostly with USB connected kit. Takes two seconds to fix it for good without using the lame workarounds listed in this thread. :wink:

You make me laugh. You’ve been told over and over it’s an issue with your setup. Steinberg has stated this over and over and provided the fixes for it yet you still demand an official word on an un-official support forum. If you want an official word, Steiny has stated over and over to submit a support ticket. You fail to do even that.

You mopes need to read this;

You clowns don’t even realize you’re all talking about different issues. The OP states Audio is ahead of MIDI and you stated MIDI is early. There are simple fixes for all of these issues if you’d bother to do some reasearch. And no, Timestamp isn’t a cure-all, especially for the issues stated above.

And for quite a few of us it doesn’t, so if it does for you, excellent, so why you even making comments regarding it ?

So what is the solution ?

Like I said, it’s in the manual, KB and all over the forums. I’ll give you a hint, it’s NOT Sys Timestamp. :wink:

Nearly 20 pages and if they haven’t by now it’s unlikely you’ll be regarded as an important person enough to answer.

“A malfunction with certain drivers” is an issue for the writers of the soundcard software.
“Not everyone is experiencing the same behaviour” points to errors at the user end, not necessarily the user so don’t get upset.
“Because if it is timing compensation then it looks that my compensation is really sample accurate consistent.” Confusion, typo or sarcasm? I can’t make that one out.

If desperate and serious about confirmation then contact support. If you think it’s REALLY serious write a letter.
But on any forum it’s really USELESS to make demands like this.

Quite a few. Half a dozen? A dozen?
I made comment because it made it seem like the problem was everywhere and it isn’t.
“Otherwise people would use it…” implies that NOBODY uses it. And it is not a FACT for EVERYBODY to get midi 1/32nd out.
We don’t want to misinform everybody now do we?

This is getting funnier than a houseful of father Dougals. :mrgreen:
Now who’s father Jack and who’s father Ted? :mrgreen:

Anone want any tea?

Aw! Gowaan!