MIDI timing

Hey guys, I’m new to MIDI and have a question. I recorded a sax part. When I went to play it back, the timing of the MIDI instrument track was off from my audio tracks. What am I missing? Is it latency?

Use the Emulated Ports for the MIDI device. There’s a Knowledge Base article that tells how to get them to show.

Sometimes it helps to check the little box “Use System Timestamp” (I think that may be available only on PCs) it worked wonders for me. Here’s a link to a nice article talking about MIDI timing issues, some of it maybe dated, some not:

Thanks again guys. Using the system time stamp did the trick.

Would someone please point me to the Knowledge Base article on Emulated Ports for the MIDI device? I’ve searched the Knowledge Base and can’t seem to find it. Thanks.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/pc-windows-midi-port-configuration-and-troubleshooting/kb_back/2020.html?tx_p77sbknowledgebase_pi1[productfamily]=2

Sometimes it helps to check the little box “Use System Timestamp” (I think that may be available only on PCs) it worked wonders for me. Here’s a link to a nice article talking about MIDI timing issues, some of it maybe dated, some not:

Thanks for posting that Alexis, I was pulling my hair out with this problem too. Fixed in a jiffy, thanks.