Midi to Audio in Cubase 7

Okay,
I apologize if this is a dumb question, but here goes:

The answer is:

:laughing:

Guess that Thinkingcap has answered your “question” correctly.

I will however answer assuming the question was: How do I get audio tracks from a MIDI track. I further assume that you have connected some kind of MIDI/VST instrument to the MIDI track so that you hear sound playing it.

There are two common ways:

One is using “Export - Audio Mixdown”. Put the MIDI track in Solo mode. Set the left and right locators to set the range of the MIDI track you want to turn to an audio track. Go to Export Audio Mixdown menu. Set the desired file values in the dialogue box that appears. You have the possibility of exporting to a file, the pool and/or the project. If you choose the latter you will get a new audiotrack directly in your project window. Pls note that this process also exports your settings, if any, in the Insert section, and the Send section. You need to repeat this for each of your tracks.

Another way of doing this is to use “Internal Summing”. It is similar to the process mentioned above, but you do not need to fill out the dialogue box as Cubase uses project settings automatically. However you only get the file in the project and pool and not the option to save the file somewhere else on your hard drive (if that is needed as it will be in your Audio file in the project ). If you are using this way you need to define Output busses and you need to determine if they are to be Stereo or Mono. If you want to do several tracks at the same time, you need a corresponding number of busses. In the project you add as many audio tracks as needed, stereo or mono. In the MIDI track you choose the Output busses you just created. One bus per track (if you do several at the same time). On the added audiotrack you set the Input to the corresponding Output bus. You do not need to set locators. Activate record on the Audio tracks, set the transport cursor at the beginning of your MIDI track and hit record. It will now record in realtime and you need to manually stop the recording. This methode has two advantages over the first one. You can do several tracks at the same time and you get to see the amplitudes of the recording in both your mixer and on the tracks in the project window, thus you are able to move the output fader of the MIDI tracks to get the recording right without clipping. The dissatvantage is that you do not get your settings (if any) in the Send section. These must be added to the Summed Audio track later. I prefere this method above the first and I Sum disabeling all Inserts and add them to the Summed track later. This gives me the possibility to change inserts later.

If you are using an external MIDI instrument, where the sound itself are coming from the instrument the “best way” is to have Cubase play the MIDI notes that triggers the instrument and then use the Audio jack output on the instrument and connect that to your input of your mixer/soundcard.