MIDI Track connections randomy change when opening/activating a project

Sometimes when I open and load a project, I will find that the MIDI routing for various MIDI and Instrument Tracks are incorrect. A lot of the time they come up as ’not connected’ or the MIDI routing is set to the completely wrong MIDI track or Instrument Track. I will also sometimes get the popup window after loading a project saying that some tracks are missing connections.

This happens to the MIDI connections for both the main MIDI output, as we as MIDI Send connections.

It appears that this happens when opening a project, or when activating the project after working on another project.

It doesn’t always happen, but frequently there will be a handful of tracks that will have incorrect routings. It also seems completely random which routing the MIDI/Instrument Tracks are changed to.

This is rather frustrating, as I often work with projects that have upwards of 100+ MIDI/Instrument Tracks. I’m having to manually go through and check every single track whenever I open the project to make sure the MIDI connections are set correctly, and that they haven’t mysteriously changed and connected to a completely different output track (which they often do).

For example - I may have a Violin MIDI track that has its output set to an Instrument Track (Kontakt), as well as the MIDI send output set to a separate Instrument Track.

Often when I open the project, the MIDI routing for both the main output and send output has randomly switched to another Instrument Track somewhere in my project (for example a percussion Instrument Track), and now the MIDI data is being sent to the completely wrong instrument. Other times, it will just default to ’Not Connected’. And then sometimes, it will still be set correctly. I cannot figure out what is causing this behaviour or what causes it to change or not.

I have done some research online and on the Steinberg forums, and this issue seems to have been reported as far back as Cubase 8 back in 2017, up to a few months ago. See the various forum threads below for people reporting the same/similar behaviour:

It apparently has been reported before and acknowledged by the Steinberg team, and is in the internal reporting system under the following reference numbers:

CAN-13635
CAN-18936

These is my system info:
Cubase Pro 12.0.52
MacOS 12.4

It’s quite surprising to me that after so many years and Cubase versions/as well as this being reported multiple times that this is still an ongoing issue. Anyone else out there experiencing this?

I don’t have an answer for you however in your experience are you disabling and enabling these tracks that result in “not connected?” I have a .gif that documents behavior of disabling, then enabling, resulting in “not connected.” However in my .gif (which they are well aware of) the first Kontact instance disable/enable always works as intended.

The problem is all additional instances of Kontakt when disable/enable will result in “not connected.”

I can assure you this is a known issue, and not resolved.

If your experience is different than above it would be best to clarify exactly what is happening especially since you state it’s an intermittent issue. It would be beneficial for everyone if you wrote out a step-by-step reproduction so others can confirm or deny. That’s the only way these things can be addressed because there are many similar issues regarding “not connected.”

I am not disabling and enabling these tracks - however I do recall this still happening when doing that though.

My issue seems to happen when opening projects initially or activating projects after working on a different one.

I did contact Steinberg, and they said it’s a known issue ‘on the list of things to be fixed’ but said they had no idea when it would be. A tad frustrating seeing as this seems to be a widespread issue for years now.

2 Likes

I am frequently having the same problem. This morning I’ve just loaded up the project I’m working on and the OUT on the harp track has changed to another instance Kontakt so the harp track suddenly splurged with the legato strings that are on another Kontakt.
This time it was was obvious but I’m often working on projects with dozens of tracks so it’s often not obvious and I have to go through and check each track individually

This is absurd and completely unacceptable Steinberg. I have deadlines and I can’t work like this. In a DAW it is absolutely fundamental that the settings for each track should stay the same when saved. What the hell is going on? This has never happened in the past and I’ve had every version of Cubase since day 1.

This is not freeware, we pay a lot of money for Cubase, including for new versions which are in reality mild updates. SORT THIS OUT PLEASE STEINBERG!!