MIDI TRACK NOTES MOVE AFTER SCISSORS CUT

This is not a serious issue but a small visual one. - just thought I would mention it though.

After you use the scissors tool on a midi track the dash marks that represent midi notes seem to change their position in vertical height on the midi track. At first my fear was that some sort of transposition was going on but after soloing and listening this is not the case. It is visually a little disconcerting when before you use the scissors tool on the track that displays stepwise motion suddenly appears to leap down an ocatve.

I don’t recall this kind of behaviour in Cubase 5.5 :confused:

This is an unfortunate side-effect of the new data “scaling” for MIDI Parts in the Project window. I’m not sure how the scaling is calculated, but it does its best to maximize the height of the Part to the note-range that it contains.
Let’s say you have a Part which contains a large note-range in its first half, and just a small range of exclusively-low notes during the second half, and you then split the part, each of the split Parts will now be scaled separately (giving some rather surprising results if you try to compare one Part with the other(s) on the same track).
Personally, while I do like the idea of this visual “scaling”, it would have made more sense to me that scaling take place, not on a “per Part” basis, but on a “per track” basis.

Hi,

The upper an lower ranges for the midi event display were previously ‘hard wired’ over a fixed 6 octave range, with the center point for stretching the data 2 octaves above the lower range. This meant that midi notes would not be displayed if they fell outside this range.

The new method calculates the lowest and highest used notes in a part, rounds the range outwards to the next octave, and scales the data accordingly. The advantage is that you can see all data that’s there, and it fills the available space. This is especially visible if you select the new ‘block mode’ for midi event data.

Calculating the ranges for all parts is possible, but has performace consequences: Not only does any change on any part mean that all data must be recalculated, it also means the whole track has to be redrawn all the time even when only one part changes.

These data displays are intended as ‘data presence’ indicators, in themselves they are not trying to replace the inline or main midi editors.

Thanks for the info, Dave :slight_smile: