MIDI Track routing

Hello guys, I’m a Cubase newcomer, switching from Logic Pro. I’m trying to rebuild my large template and I’m curious to find out how to route several midi track’s signals into another midi track. For example, I use LA Scoring Strings and I do have the separate 1st violin sections loaded A B and C, but I used Logic’s environment to create a Violin Full Section track, where the signal from the three tracks gave me a “summed track” so that I didn’t need to Load the full section patch and save resources. What should be a similar workaround in Cubase?
Thanks in advance!

If what you want to do is route the resultant audio from several MIDI tracks that route their MIDI signals to virtual instruments, then what you need to look at is Group Channel Tracks. Let’s say you have your 3 MIDI tracks A, B and C, each sending to a separate instance of LA Scoring Strings VSTi; create a group channel track, and route the audio output from each VSTi to that.

I was referring to achieving the full 1st Violin sound (Desks A+B+C) without having to load the patch. I have this on my Logic template, I used the environment to route 1st Vln A B and C’s into a single track. That way I can choose to write separate lines for each desk or just record a full violin ensemble on this newly created track I called Violins Full ABC.
Is that possible to do something similar on Cubase?
thanks a lot

It sounds like what you want here can be accomplished via MIDI Sends. The curious thing in Cubase is the feature is invisible by default. Also, it only works on MIDI tracks, NOT Instrument tracks. To set it up, go to track view (not Mix Console).

1. Set up your symphony instrument in a rack in the VST Instruments dialog, where you can also set up as many outputs as you need. Set up your patches and channels.

2. Then, add a new midi track (NOT an Instrument track!) and select it.

3. In the inspector, in the blank space below all the other track properties, right-click and from the pop-up menu click on MIDI Sends. This makes the tab visible in the inspector rack. Click on the tab and you will now see 4 available sends.

4. Turn on the little power button (upper left). This will activate all the other features.

5. In the top row of each send, you will see a blank space. If you click there you can choose from any of the actual MIDI FX available in Cubase. Not what you want here, though.

6. In the second row, click on the text that says “Not Connected”. This raises a list of all the virtual instruments you have assigned in the project. You can send to any of them. Choose the instrument you want and be sure to choose the correct MIDI channel for the patch you want below and to the Right.

7. Add up to 3 other sends to fill out your sound.

That’s it. Also, don’t forget to assign the main output of the track. Including that, you can send one MIDI track to up to 5 different patches. And still have only one MIDI track to edit.

FYI, there’s a setting in the Preferences that allows you to include sends and FX when you’re in a MIDI Editor, as well.

Welcome to Cubase. Have fun. :slight_smile:

1 Like

wow! Thanks!
I forgot to mention that these three midi tracks are coming from VEPro5 (Kontakt is in there), so I don’t have the option to create an instrument on VST instruments. Thoughts?

Sorry, I don’t know the host. I misunderstood your application.

Surely you mean audio signals?

MrSoundman, I hear audio coming from VEPro5, but these record Midi information in Logic, correct?
The idea is to save resources by not having to load the Full 1st Vlns section Patch, because as I already have tracks of Desk A B and C, the summing of these three tracks will give me the Full section sound. The MIDI track I labeled Violin ABC is not an audio track and I record MIDI through it. It would be sort of the same result as recording Three tracks simultaneously in Cubase (desk A B and C tracks). But in logic I can record instantly in one track. I don’t know how to call this, routing? The thinking is almost like a Aux, getting feed from the three tracks, but it’s a regular midi track, recording midi into the DAW. You just have to make the routing inside Logic’s Environment. I’m looking for something similar in Cubase. I’m showing pictures of the tracks in Logic and the environment connections to make it happening.

It may eventually take someone who’s familiar with both Logic and Cubase to advise, but in Cubase you could start with 3 MIDI tracks A,B and C exactly as above, but the fourth track (ABC) uses 3 MIDI sends to each violin as described by rtorstrick above, with the audio signals from the three violins being sent to a group channel track.

I see. I guess in cubase I can arm record the three tracks simultaneously and get the same sound. The convenience of Logic’s solution is that I can edit and mess around with just one track instead of three.
Anybody with some Logic background wish to contribute to the matter?

No, if you set up the 4th track with a MIDI send to each of the three violins, you can record on that track by arming just that one.

But the 4th track must be an Audio/Aux track, correct?

No, a MIDI track, but route the MIDI sends from that track to each instrument.

Well, it sounds like it’s the solution for my problem :slight_smile: isn’t it? record in one track the summing of three other tracks?

I certainly hope so.Welcome to the wonderful world of going where no man has gone before, in this galaxy we call Cubase!

From what I’ve learnt, it seems this process is easier to conceptualize in Logic (nomen est omen), where you don’t have to think so much about the interaction between two different worlds (i.e. MIDI and audio). I grew up with MIDI and Cubase (and its predecessors) long before in our wildest dreams we would have envisaged being able to record audio, let alone sample and (re-)synthesize it. We would typically use a MIDI sequencer-type device to send audio to a mixer which went to tape.

While Cubase is the absolute must-have no-brainer solution for anyone who needs to work at the (MIDI) event level, I think there are areas in Cubase which could do with some reworking, and MIDI routing is one of them; for example, you can’t route (sum/merge) MIDI tracks to other MIDI tracks (where they could be seen as inputs).

As you seem new to Cubase and (am I right?) in the field of MIDI orchestration, I can strongly recommend that you RTFM, it is one of the best FMs I’ve come across. I sincerely believe you’ve found the right application for creativity, and there are good people here willing to help you out.

Yes, I’m completely new to Cubase! I’m actually on the trial version yet, waiting to see if I can solve my issues I had with Logic. I was so frustrated for the AU midi port limitations. VSL’s workaround was elegant but my huge template powered by both my iMac and a PC slave machine was so FRUSTRATING! All around audio pops and hiccups… VST3 was the main objective as I figured. And by seeing videos and going to forums it was a no Brainer that Cubase would be the right solution. I’m indeed new to Midi Orchestration, my template is 1 year old but can you believe I’m still not being able to use it properly? because of Logic’s AU is so unreliable. Frustration all around!
So now I’m trying to mirror my template over here.
Actually would you be kind one more time and guide me through the process of setting up this solution you showed me, the midi send to the three tracks to get a summed fourth MIDI one?
Thanks a lot!
PS1: I’m very happy to see that people over here are very generous in helping others!
PS2: What dou you mean by RTMF?

"RTFM = read the f… manua"l. It might seem offensive on first encounter, but it’s so common on the interweb that it has become common parlance (although usually intended to be dismissive). In the case of Cubase, it’s actually good advice because the PDF manual is one of the best-written and most comprehensive you’ll come across in the realm of software.

When I have a little bit more time I’ll try to do a step-by-step of how I would go about setting up your scenario.

Ok it makes sense! :slight_smile:
I will go ahead and read the manual, I actually do read them, specially last year when I was putting this system together I lost the count :slight_smile:
Anyways, I still have a few other questions but they can’t wait for now. Whenever you find some time I will look for the step by step for the routing.
Thanks a lot

Enthusiastic +1!

Yes, totally agree to part 1. it is mind boggling that you can not assign the midi output straight into another midi-track. it would be very handly when working with the apreggiators and stuff.

As for your second part here. It is because things like these don’t exist that you can read the manual untill your eyes bleed and start to think “I must be made, surely there is a way to do this” that reading it does not help.