Midi Track Volume automation affects multiple Midi Tracks

I’ve routed the output from several Midi tracks to the same Instrument track. on playback, the volume of each track is not controlled only by its own volume automation, but some times jumps to match the volume automation of one of the other tracks.

Intuitively I am expecting volume automation to control only midi events on the track to which it applies. Am I missing something?

A little more research in the manual and I see that this is the way it’s supposed to work.

What I’m attempting to do, however, is to have several tracks using the same instrument so that the samples don’t have to be loaded into ram multiple times, once for each track. My understanding was that a midi track is the way to accomplish this. I guess not. Suggestions?

What you are saying is true but the instrument in question needs to be multitimbral, like Halion Sonic or Kontakt, then you route idiot tracks on different channels to the same VST I.

Best Regards

Dave

I’m using a sample player: EWQL orchestral samples. Lots of timbres but I guess it doesn’t qualify. In any case I don’t get it - the manual says that any volume automation curve applied to a midi track applies to all tracks routed to the same VSTI with the volume mode determining how they sum up. (If I understand it correctly.) Thanks for the reply though.

I’m going to post an addendum to this post for fellow relatively-new users not arising from the analog music world. It’ll be painfully obvious fact to many (but it was an eye-opener to me) that any instance of a VSTi has multiple channels into each of which can be loaded (in the specific case of a sampler )an individual sample instrument set. This makes instant sense to those coming from the synth world, but it wasn’t at all intuitive to me. It means that as many as 16 midi tracks can send signals to the VSTi (one to each channel) and not conflict with one another. (But any tracks which send signals to the same channel at the same time will conflict.) This also means the most economical use of system resources to load up the channels of each instance of an instrument with different settings/samples for each track. Basic but very useful information.

you got it! BTW, if you do end up wanting to have two midi parts playing the same instrument (say violin legato patch) most samplers today do NOT increase resources / RAM loading the same instrument twice. In fact, I will often load the exact same patch 3-4 times (on different midi channels of course) just so I can have better control of the midi data with no ill effects.

Also hopefully not to confuse you further, but you are not necessarily limited to 16 mini channels per plugin, as the VST format also allows for ports in addition to channels. So in some samplers which take advantage of ports (like Kontakt for example) you can load 16 patches on midi port 1 channels 1-16, but then also load an additional 16 on midi port 2 on channels 1-16. I believe the limit is 8 ports, but I’m not able to check that right now, but 8x16 = 128 different patches loaded in a single instrument! I personally advise against this as it seems Cubase runs into issues having too many ports, but still, its pretty neat!

I wish there was more clear documentation on Midi Implementation in VSTIs.

I started with an eight port notebook computer. It was so easy to use. Eight Ports, 16 MIDI channels per port.

Then I moved to an eight port MOTU midi interface. 128 Midi Channels over eight ports.

Put the master controller keyboard in to Local Off, Omni off/Poly and you could move from track to track and it was all so easy.

I’m just getting into VSTIs and I love the sounds and features, but the lack of clear documentation about basic Midi implementation is really troubling and annoying. So, good luck with it all and I"m sure you’ll get it worked out. It sounds like you’re well on the way.

I, too, will put the same instrument on multiple tracks and also find it useful to use multiple instances of the same instrument and patch on multiple tracks. So, if that’s how you’re going forward, I think you’re on the right track.