MIDI track/VST instrument mismatch

Hi!

When loading a new VST-instrument from the Rack, Cubase asks whether it should create a MIDI track assigned to the instrument or not. If I choose “Yes” as I usually do, chances are that the newly created MIDI track gets assigned to a previously loaded VSTi instead which means that I have to manually change the assignment in the inspector.
Now, the worst part about this is that if I save a project containing lots of Rack instruments (i.e. an orchestral setup), close it and then open it again, chances are that more or less one half of all the MIDI tracks/VST instruments in the project will be mismatched upon loading resulting in precious time being lost while fiddling around in order to correct it.
Any ideas?

So many issues with C10 so far and many of them don’t seem to be addressed. This is worrying to say the least, if not totally unacceptable.

Hi,

Do you mean that once you save, close and reopen the project, the MIDI Out doesn’t match how did you save the project? I don’t believe so. There are some known issue (like this can happen when you Deactivate and Reactivate the track), but it works in the basic use case, I’m quite sure.

What kind of Instrument Rack VSTi do you use?

Thanks for trying to help me out, Martin.
Also, I’m sorry for the delay it’s been a busy week.

Exactly - Once I save and reopen the project, some of the MIDI Outs don’t match the VSTi’s the way they were created initially and sometimes Cubase makes a mismatch already when choosing the option to create a MIDI track assigned to a newly loaded plugin instrument as mentioned earlier.
However, I don’t quite understand what you mean by saying you don’t believe so? It’s not that I’m being delusional here and if this would have worked the same way it did in previous versions, I wouldn’t have posted this as an issue now, would I? Besides, Cubase has been my main DAW since 1998 so with all due respect, but I consider myself pretty familiar with the Cubase environment.
This has nothing to do with activating or deactivating the track, it happens randomly whenever I save and reopen a project with lots of VSTi’s.

I use Kontakt 6 a lot (latest version) and have also been using HZ Strings by Spitfire Audio quite intensively in tandem with Kontakt lately and the same mismatch occurs with both of them.

Hi,

NI Kontak has the multi-MIDI ports feature. So you can use me than 16 MIDI channels, right? Do you use it?

I’m creating multis by loading up a maximum of about 10 patches, together using approximately 6-7 MIDI channels as per Kontakt instance. Also, since switching from C8 to C10 I haven’t yet used any of the additional audio outputs in Kontakt, besides the Stereo main.

I also notice a mismatch of MIDI channels in my VEPro Setup. Channels get mixed up. Cross over. It is really annoying and I noticed it since C9 I believe

I’m not the only one apparently. That’s reassuring. :wink:
So, does someone have any idea how to correct the problem or should we consider it as yet another bug?

Hi,

Did you Disable the track or instrument?

Isn’t it related to Missing MIDI output after Instrument track disabled/enabled or Midi output routing change when disable enable midi track.

Hi again Martin,
Thanks for the link, but the answer is no. There are no tracks or instruments that are disabled, or have previously been disabled in the projects affected by this issue whatsoever.

hey Martin
in my case I am not sure.
I use 3 VePro clients which are in hybernation when not used.
After reactivation of the slaves I usually load the project in Cubase.
It is strange though that not all of the slaves instances on one client are affected which would make sense if there is a general connection problem.
I am still looking for a way to reproduce this but it’s not happening everytime :-/

I am getting this issue. Both in nuendo 11 and now 12 on two different new pcs with both versions.

I use VEP v7 on slaves almost exclusively for all my vsti (orchestral template) so that my main DAW only deals with FX and automation. I learnt this the hard way over the last months. I even run a video slave. My main daw is windows 11, 12900k/32gb. My 2 slaves are same spec but with 128gb and 64gb ram.

I currently use track instruments only (except the test racks) and I use them multi-timbrally exactly how you would use a rack since now it’s “possible”. With multiple virtual ports too. Hence I only use VEP VST3 version.

One day Ill open my template (now has all my tracks enabled) and assignments are all over the place (except my one or two test rack instruments) and another it’ll be mostly correct except a few, inexplicably. Then another day it will be all correct. To add to that, sometimes there is no virtual midi link between nuendo and the slaves at all. Even though the instance plugin in nuendo shows its connected and I can change the name/settings and they relfect. Just no midi playing the instruments. And this is happens in nuendo only since I can play the same remote instance in Reaper fine in the same session. It’s driving me crazy.

It seems related to the rather arbitrary initial scan and load of VEP instances and their order of loading, if they take longer or not, and of course if I had a track enabled or not in Nuendo (which I dont disable now because of this issue)

I think the reason we can’t re-order rack instruments is because cubendo relies on the ID number for midi assignments. Now, as they try to get track instruments up to speed they still havent addressed this elephant in the room. Changing track instrument order on arrange page, or if theyre disabled then enabled, and possibly even if midi i/o ports coming in or out have changed or been reset, are all reasons I’ve found to cause this bug to rear its head. Its making things unworkable for me.

My qu

1. Are other people still getting this midi assignments lost or jumbled issue with huge templates in v12?

2. Should I spend the enormous amount of time (mid film project I might add) to convert all my track instruments to the seemingly more stable rack instruments. Or will this be a waste of time because once there are many VEPro rack instances the same thing happens?

3. If this is more a track issue than a rack issue should I avoid mixing the two? Becuase some vsti instances vepro or local are project/cue specific and really are better as coupled vep instances on a track instrument.

Also I thought rack instruments will eventually be discontinued hence another reason not to go there. Despite their apparent stability.

Currently I have to do something because it’s a major block in getting things done.

1 Like