midi tracks/ kontakt/ samples audio fader

Hi people its been long since my last post. well i’ve been learnin a lot thru this forum. This time i need some help.

i’m using cubase 7.5 / kontakt 10 / samples. so usually i keep midi audio fader level at -12, kontakt volume level at ful, vst sample volume at full.

But some midi tracks are quite loud and some quite low. Now they say you need to keep some headroom for mix and mastering so i keep midi audio fader level at -12,

so as a good starting point can you tell me what level should i keep on midi tracks audio fader and record my midi
and the level for my kontakt and samples also.

thanks for your time and consideration.

best.

Hi,

It’s difficult to say. Every single sample library sounds different, and the loudness of the library is different. So you will get different results.

But in the MIDI standard, the default value for the Volume controller (MIDI CC7) is 100 (127 is maximum). So I would recommend to use this value as a starting point.

hello,
thanks for the reply martin

i agree with you with your view — Every single sample library sounds different, and the loudness of the library is different. So you will get different results.

But i’m little confused with your other part. i actually use midi tracks and have never ever touched the midi fader but the audio fader under midi track.
BTW i read in other topics in the forum where members commented saying they dont use midi fader at all and use just audio fader.

yes i do automate using cc’s with no issue . i’m talking about gain staging / setting balance between individual tracks.

Should i set balance between individual tracks with midi fader? and not audio fader if yes than at what level.
Sorry if i’m being stupid here.

thanks

Hi,

I’m sorry to confuse you.

I agree, it’s better to use Return channel faders instead of the MIDI faders. If you keep the MIDI faders untouched, they will be set to the 100 (even if it looks, they are completely down, like Off).

So if you are using Return Channel faders, I would also recommend to set the to the -12dB value. In fact, to be honest, I prefere to have a template, where is the default settings of volumes already done. I’m using templates for the film music scoring, but I don’t know, if it fits to your needs. Maybe, you need more flexibility.