MIDI Transformer - Controller to Velocity average

I do a lot of work with string parts and usually the software allows either a controller (usually the mod wheel or breath controller) to control velocity, OR key velocity from a keyboard. I want to combine the two, so that I get the control of a sliding controller, but then introduce some randomness and influence on that velocity from the key velocity. So either the controller will modify the key velocity to a degree or the velocity will modify the controller - either way.

Eg> controller at 64 = no change.
Controller 64-127 range, will proportionately increase the key velocity sent to the instrument
Controller 0-63 range, will proportionately decrease the key velocity sent to the instrument
Eg> key velocity is 100, controller is at 44, actual note velocity sent to instrument might be (guessing) say 85.

So the controller has a sliding effect and should not influence the velocity more than say 50%.

How could you do this in the MIDI transformer in Cubase? Is it even possible? Is there another way to do this? Seems to me like a really valuable tool to have for expression.

I know you can “midi compress” the velocity data as well - also an option.

Hi,

I would go for 2 Transformers:

Filter
Last Event | Equal | MIDI Status | 176 | And
Last Event | Equal | Value 1 | 1 | And
Type is |Equal | Note | And
Value 2 (Velocity) | Bigger | 64

Action
Value 2 | Multiple by | 1.5 (or whatever you want to)

Function
Transform

Filter
Last Event | Equal | MIDI Status | 176 | And
Last Event | Equal | Value 1 | 1 | And
Type is |Equal | Note | And
Value 2 (Velocity) | Less | 64

Action
Value 2 | Divide by | 1.5 (or whatever you want to)

Function
Transform

The Last Event part holds the MIDI CC1 value, so when the MIDI Note is coming, Cubase can decide based on the MIDI CC1 value.