MIDI Trigger Region question

the video for this particular new feature is about mostly drum kits.

I was wondering, does this apply to other instruments?

For example, I have a “thunder” effect in my harp, but the notation for it doesn’t play more than the two notes of the notation (upper and lower octave, articulation beneath, and a vertical arrow between the octave notes.)
I’d like to have the score playback all 7 strings within the octave that’s notated.
Is this achievable with this feature?

If you have a sample of that thunder that you want to trigger, yes. It can trigger whatever sample you have (and that you assign to Groove Agent as a sampler, a sample reader).
Can you describe how that effect is really produced with the harp? It might be possible to play it as a gliss?

2 Likes

ah, no, I don’t have a sample of it.

normally, it’s simply an incredibly fast and LOUD gliss over low strings on the instrument (the harshness of the gliss movement is what causes the strings to vibrate against each other, creating the characteristic effect)

I’d be happy with simply a rapidly strummed gliss on the 7 strings, but the notation is generally the top and bottom notes of the region you want to have played (I’m including a graphic.)
harp_thunder

and here’s a short youtube video demonstrating the sound of it:
harp thunder effect

Yes: Dorico is entirely agnostic about what the receiving VST does with the MIDI data that it is sent.

You can think of MIDI Trigger regions as “manual Keyswitches”.

For instance, I use MIDI Trigger regions to change the sample used on a trill. (The instrument has no trill sample, so Dorico generates the trill using the default Sustain, but I want to use a Marcato, for better attack on each pitch.)

hmm, ok, so I can’t get Dorico to play un-notated notes at a particular spot?

in this case, I’d like the harp to play C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C as a big arp. cluster but not have to have the entire scale notated (I need it to appear as in the little graphic snip in my previous post)

Yes – you’re basically sending non-notated MIDI notes to the VST.

So if you have C and C as notes, then you can add D, E, F, G, A, B as a MIDI Trigger.

1 Like

I tried adding the notes (D, E, F, G, A, B) into a “create MIDI trigger region” (pressed J and typed Midi Trigger). It created a playback zone, I presume, but it’s not actually playing those notes.

Make sure they’re at the right octave? You can actually play notes from a MIDI keyboard into the popover!

yes, they’re all marked with a little “1” (the notes are all in that octave, including the notated ones)
but it’s still not playing back any of those un-notated notes.

the midi trigger region says “D1, E1, F1, G1, A1, B1”

Hm. A quick test here shows I can get a violin to play notes as Triggers.

Screenshot

AHA!
I got it to play.
For some reason, however, when I only want the harp to play it won’t play the midi trigger notes.
but when I let the tutti orchestra play it plays them.

so I’m presuming that Bb1 would give me a B flat, in the octave “1”, right?
and D# would give me a D sharp?

hmm… I get a cluster. Maybe some supressed playback?

1 Like

ack!
a quicky question: is there any way to HIDE the MIDI Trigger Region?
I’d rather not see the coloured region where those notes are added, I prefer being able to see Signposts which I can show/hide.

EDIT

Never mind, I found how to hide them.
But it would be good if the Show/Hide Signposts function also showed MIDI Trigger regions.

View > Highlight MIDI Trigger Region. But there won’t be a flag.

As far as i konw, it will play whatever sound is mapped to this key in Helion or whatever. For a Harp, yes. For percussion whatever Instrument is on this key, if you are happy, and know how to, you can “map” Beethoven 5 to this key, and it will start playing.