midi - vst rack

hi,

i have highlighted 3 things in the screenshot. can you tell me in what way i can use them?

i see they have Read,Write, Solo, PAN, VOL except the first whic has just Read,Write, Solo.

is there something that i cant do using the midi tracks below that i need to use them.

can you clear my doubts.

thanks

rita

Sorry, but I don’t get the issue.

You’ve opened Halion Sonic SE and activated Output 2.
Halion has 16 Audio Outputs that you can use as Audio Channels
in Cubase. You can automate almost each parameter of an Audio Channel
in Cubase. The line next to the audio channel shows the volume automation
by default. Activate “Read” and you can use the pencil tool to draw an automation
into it or activate “Write” to use the controller (in case of volume it’s the fader)
to record an automation.

That first track under HALion in the project arranger window is a track that gets created for Cubase. I always ignored them, because they’re neither MIDI nor audio tracks. The R and W work on them, but they do little else.
The next two tracks are your Audio outputs from HALion.
The MIDI tracks are normal MIDI tracks. You can assign them to HALion input channels (each being its own instrument within HALion). You then assign each instrument to one HALion audio output.

Does this answer your question? Or were you looking to do something else?

hi,
this is i where i need some help

[quote=“enjneer”]That first track under HALion in the project arranger window is a track that gets created for Cubase. I always ignored them, because they’re neither MIDI nor audio tracks. The R and W work on them, but they do little else.
The next two tracks are your Audio outputs from HALion.

as i can do my volume, mute automation on my midi tracks itself,

1. so whats the purpose of HALion sonic se having Read,Write, Solo under vst instruments ?

like wise even HSSE MAIN and HSSE OUT 2 has Read,Write, Solo, PAN, VOL whats the purpose ?

i can do the same functions under midi tracks so why do v have them.

1. i tried turning the fader of HSSE MAIN down and it turned off the volume of midi tracks, even when the midi track vol fader wasn’t touched in the mixer and turning HSSE OUT 2 fader down dosent do anything.

sorry for this question but i’m not gettin it.

The HalionSonic track is an Instrument Track. This can also have MIDI on it, so you need to have the same tools.

All tracks need to have solo and read and write, so that the functions are available no matter which track you’re viewing.

You see, an Instrument Track is 2-in-1: you get a MIDI track (for the first HALion Channel) in the Arranger window; you also get a VST Audio Track for the Audio output of that Channel.
When you need another instrument to play from that same instance of HALion, you have to make a new MIDI Track to send midi info to it.

So, you need both a MIDI track and an audio track for each MIDI instrument–whether that instrument is its own VSTi or another patch in its own MIDI Channel within one VSTi.

To figure out which tracks to use for volume, pan, etc, you have to think of the difference between MIDI and audio tracks in Cubase.
MIDI tracks contain no sound. Only instructions. If you use the MIDI Channel’s fader or pan, you’re just sending instructions to HALion to change the gain or pan. Controls like this are largely for people who use MIDI to access actual hardware sound modules, and they need to control volume, etc., via MIDI.

If you use the VST output fader, you’re telling Cubase to change the gain and pan of HALion’s output in your mix, as if the sound was coming through a mixing console.

What I do, unless it’s a drum VSTi like Superior Drummer, is create a new Instrument Track (with only one audio output) for every sound I want, even if it’s the same VSTi. So I make one HALion Instrument Track for bass, another HALion Instrument Track for piano, etc. That way, you get one track in the arranger per instrument. I completely ignore MIDI controls like volume and pan–they don’t work very reliably, and I’d rather deal with the audio outputs like a proper mix.

Try setting up your project like I do. Ignore MIDI faders. See if it makes more sense.

That’s right: I simply turn off MIDI channels in the VST Mixer. There is no urgent need for them there.

If I need to write MIDI controllers (not the same thing as automation), I usually write them in the Piano Roll, or track them in real-time in the main Project window.