Midi with really old stuff

Please excuse this latest excursion into stupid questions about unimportant trivia (for most of you) about ancient equipment, posted by ignorant, uneducated, and wrong-minded Dorico user. Abject thanks.

I currently use, for my Dorico work, a MIDD interface (correct term?) box called the UR22MkII. It’s very old, probably 35 years old or at least 25… It’s made by Steinberg, beautifully and wonderfully (KissingA** shamelessly), and has served me well from my Music Writer days to the. present, through Finale (shudder), Sibelius starting with 1.4 as I recall, and Dorico since the Sibelius team was fired and rehired by Steinberg, thank Thor… It has five ports on the back. One of the old square USB ports, forget what they are called, from whence a cable goes to a flat USB connection on my 2013 MacBook Pro 15 inch retina screen computer.Which has no square ports, as the MIDI box has no flat ones. Box also has a pair of the old cigar-diameter, though much shorter than that product, 5-pin in a semicircle inhabiting a circular device about penny or nickel- size. As I recall this is called simply a MIDI port. These are marked in and out and go via MIDI cable (I think) to similar plugs on the other end which plug into my electronic piano, a Technics SX-PX73M, by far the best tone of any upright electronic I have ever heard, and far exceeding most electronic grands, only two exceptions being a Casio electronic grand of unremenbered model number about fifteen years ago , since degraded sadly in later models, and any age, shape, or size of Yamaha electronic grand, which rather supersedes it, though only in tone quality, not feel or touch, which is perfect. My only demur is the weight, which is a bit light. (Once can supposedly adjust it but I feel the wight control simply degrades the natural weight of the keys rather than strengthening it. Any Yamaha or Kawaii grand has better weight, as any other brand has inferior. The point that I will never part with it for any amount of money so don’t ask or suggest.
The Technics, sadly replaced by a horribly inferior Panasonic, that’s the company that owns both! How the heck did that happen. “Cheaper” and easier to produce I suppose. Shudder the thought.), has three five pin MIDI ports, in out and through. (I have never used ‘through’ and have no idea what it does.) also has a pair each of 1/4 inch audio and in and audio out. Total seven ports. Nothing is stereo except virtually via manipulation of mono signals. Also have a moderately modern (though wife-less) sound generator and volume amplification device, with ability to adjust tone (n never) and volume of both in and out. this is connected both to the computer, via USB and to the piano, via 1/4 inch connectors (forget what they’re called), and also RCA jacks which go unused in or out, though I do have sufficient cables if I wanted to used them.
So, when using the piano to input notes into Dorico, the piano sends the pitch and duration (and probably lots of other stuff too, though I don’t bother) to Dorico via MIDI to the Steinberg box and then thence to the computer. As I don’t ever record my work in real time (not that good, even twinkle twinkle, I can’t get the beat spacing right no matter how hard I try - you should hear me try to play Prelude in C of chromatic fame. I love piece especially when played with the correct absolutely even timing, but can only myself do DUH-doh, duhhtt-duh, diddda, dubbaHH, etc, never the same twice- so no real time recording even at half speed which only makes things words). To make it short (too late I know, sorry) the piano puts the pitches and nothing else into the software, which is the way I like it. Dorico does the grunt work with helpful (?) input from mouse, clicking on things, and editing of the written word and duration. I love Daniel’s trick of inputting all notes of all durations at a single speed and notated length, which I have seen him do in Nashville at a wonderful pre-release demo and sales opportunity of some edition, probably 2.something, certain not 2.0 and possibly as late as 3, though I don’t think so, and then changing the notated durations in a mind-bending show of speed and mouse dexterity, which I can never hope to emulate though I do try, and which my graphical mind and measure at a time instincts almost totally refuse to do, though I do try. I then can play back directly through the piano, or, using Dorico’s piano sounds, vastly inferior, and/or via NotePerformer which I have never tried, though I’ll bet they don’t come close to the Technics. through the sound generator and amp system.
Then the clunker: I have recently bought a refurbished 2019 MacBook Pro which has only wifi and USBC connectors. Sigh. Many adapters to buy.
I really like wifi, and prefer it to ethernet for both speed and accuracy (!), though this is
much scolded upon by online employers of music services. Too bad.
I would like to use wifi at every possible point in this new conjunction, but obviously cannot do so in connecting the piano to the Steinberg box. Or can I? It would be lots less cords and worrying about distances if I could. Are there such things as MIDI converters or adapters that change MIDI signal into wifi and back again? I don’t know that’s why I’m asking. Never heard of such a thing, but then I never heard of such a thing as hybrid vehicles until they had been out a few years, the first time I bought one! I mean you can turn USB into UDMI pretty easily without any lost of signal, why not MIDI into wifi???
Can the signal to and from the computer and the MIDI box be wifi-ed? I’d be surprised. But again it would help avoid cable clutter which I loathe, and, if not terribly expensive, be efficient. How about the sound generator to and from the computer the MIDI box and the piano.
I know the computer is capable and would probably prefer it. using wife for everything. Not possible for some components. Pleas advise, harass, andotherwise delight me. And point out anything I’ve forgotten to ask. or say( hah).

If your existing boxes connect to your old computer via USB (flat at the end that connects to your old computer), then why not just purchase a USB-C hub with some USB-2 or USB-3 sockets on it?

I travel with one of these, which actually only has three USB3 ports (which are the old flat ones), but typically that’s enough for me: https://amzn.eu/d/hIIMYgY

There are plenty of alternative hub devices that will run more USB3 ports from a single USB-C port.

Well you’re right it would be a lot simpler. But I
t doesn’t do anything about cable clutter except make it worse in some instances when. you have to run an adapter cable as well as a regular cable some times.
But good point and I shall dwell on it.

Hah ‘wife-less’middle of rant. Obviously I meant’ wifi-less’ but the original is too good to simply fix, so I’ll leave it for your enjoyment and sniggers.

1 Like

Old flat ports are USB - A. The ones with blue plastic ‘tongues’ inside are USB 3; black ones are USB 2.

The square USB port is USB -B.

The letter is the shape; the number is the speed/capability.

I agree that buying a single “hub” adaptor, either just with a bunch of USB-A ports, or an assortment including Ethernet, HDMI, etc, is the best way forward.

Lifetime award for the most self deprecatory intro para on the forum. :slight_smile:

You can do MIDI via wifi.

Personally, I’d stick with ordinary cables and appropriate Mac adapters.