Midiport set-up. How to save the names?

Every time I reinstall Cubase, or trash the preferences I loose all 16 input and 16 output names since they default to the generic name.

Are these names stored somewhere so I can save them along with my key commands and preferences?

I have 16 midi devices so it is a pain to keep re-naming them 32 times!

Thank you for any help.

If you’re on a PC:

Win XP : “/Documents and Settings/ /Application Data/Roaming/Steinberg/Cubase*”
Win Vista or Win7 : "/Users/ /Appdata/Roaming/Steinberg/Cubase*/

If you’re on Mac:
“Library/Preferences/Cubase*”

File called Midi Devices.bin stores your midi device information

When your Midi setup is as you want it, copy this file to something like Midi Devicesbin.bak

Thank you I appreciate that.

I couldn’t find that information in the manual. I’m amazed Steinberg doesn’t easily provide this type of information without spending hours searching. It’s almost like they want to keep it a secret.

Since I’m on a roll…how about the custom colors for the mixer and the intensity of the grids in the project editor? Again, these are items always lost when trashing the preferences. I’m away from home or I would search the application data roaming folders…

It’s in the knowledgebase

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/cubase-and-nuendo-program-preferences-files-in-detail/kb_back/2020.html?tx_p77sbknowledgebase_pi1[product]=23

I just tried this, and it doesn’t work for me. I might be overlooking something obvious? I’m on Windows 7 64bit.

I’m trying to save this because I’m tired of trashing my preferences then having to re-name the midi ports in the Device>Device Set up>Midi port set-up “SHOW AS” column. It’ the SHOW AS column that I’m trying to save, but automatically gets reset.

Bumping. I have 32 midi in’s and 32 midi outs to manually re-name so this is sort of an issue with me.

Backing up the .bin file then trashing preferences, then moving the backed up .bin file back to it’s location does not seem to work. I can do this with preferences and key commands, but not the .bin file.

Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong?

The word from Steinberg is: ****

There is not a defined location for the MIDI Port Setup to have customized names that would not also include key data you would need to remove for “Trashing Application Data” to be successful.

And based on the replies it would appear this isn’t much of an issue to most Cubase users.
Issue closed.