Migrating from PC to Mac

Hi everyone . . .

I’m just about to change from PC to Mac to run Cubase on. I’m not sure exactly how to do this though. I started out with Cubase 5 and updated to Cubase 6, both on a packaged CD. I’ve since updated to version 6.07 by downloading the relevant software updates.

So now that I want to put the latest version on the Mac what is my starting point? Also I have a major dilemma when it comes to all the myriads of plugins I’ve gathered . . how do I also tackle this?

Any advice and pitfalls to look out for would be most welcome.

Cheers . . . Martin

Just install the version(s) that you want to use. They are all full versions. Then, plug in your dongle, click “Already registered” and go. Make sure you update the eLicenser to the latest version.
HTH
J.L.

You can install Cubase 6 drom your install disc. It’s not necessary to install Cubase 5 before. Then install the Cubase 6.0.7 update on your new computer.

If you want to use the very same settings, shortcuts, etc., you can copy the relevant Cubase 6 folder from one system to the second one.

Simple advice, forget the Mac and stay with a PC.

Cubase runs far better on a PC, as do many VSTi’s as well.

Not truth.

Just a word of caution when moving from PC to MAC. - You lose ASIO. Found this out the hard way
Losing Asio wasnt worth the move for me

I’m now using Cubase 6.5 on BootCamp with Windows 7 on a Mac Pro. Got to say it works really well no hiccups

I would stay Windows if it were me. I actually left OS X because of the many additional bugs you will find (and the constant repairing permissions, plug-in limitations, etc.). There will be plenty of flamers and fanboys to defend this statement and that is fine. The hardware is overpriced and you will be limited to only what they offer you to buy at the fixed price they choose. PC gives you much more flexibility and the fact you are already familiar with Windows.

Also, you can get much more horsepower for less cost (and actually upgrade your machine, and I don’t just mean hard drives and video cards. PC’s give you the option to upgrade the processors which is a huge advantage to me). For instance, you can buy a super motherboard and deck it out, but save on the processer by purchasing a 4 core for now. However, because the motherboard was compatible with 6-core or more processors, you can upgrade to one of those in a few years when the price is stupidly cheap.

To each their own. I am sure there are many happy OS X users, but I have been both for many years and Windows 7 64bit wins hands down for me. Most of the forums I spend time on such as VSL, OS X has a significant larger complaint base (and no it isn’t because there are more OS X users).

If this helps, keep in mind that if you do decide to buy an overpriced, underpowered Apple machine, you can always load bootcamp on it with Windows 7 and get better speeds than your OS X. But all you have done at that point is over paid for a Windows machine. If you are rich and can afford to buy anything you want without hesitation, and money doesn’t matter to you I would purchase the most powerful Mac Pro in the world. This way you can run both operating systems and decide which one you love the most.

Besides the worse performance, take care not to forget all the preset files you created on your own and put them in the right folders on the other OS after installation which might become a nightmare and – besides other things – keeps me from using Cubase. I mean all the preferences, transformer presets, track presets, plugin presets, VST Sound Set Content, VST Expression Maps, Project Templates… It’s a folder madness.

Daw Bench tests conclude:-

“I can already hear the howls from the back that the Steinberg application is not as well optimized for OSX as Windows, and that may well be true”

Core Audio does not perform as well as ASIO

Mac users, get depressed here:- http://www.dawbench.com/win7-v-osx-1.htm

Hi Martin - I just did the exact same thing you’re planning, only in reverse. I switched from Cubase 6.5 on Mac, to PC. The performance, same hardware, on Windows vs. OS X was hugely, significantly better, in my case. ASIO vs. Core Audio, PC Cubase vs. OS X Cubase, PC VSTs vs. Mac VSTs and AUs, Windows graphics drivers vs. outdated Mac graphics drivers all added up to a much, much more crisp and performant experience under Windows. Projects that would simply not play unless frozen – and even then seemed to tax the HD with the 32 bit freeze files almost as much as playing the VSTis – played back unfrozen, perfectly under Windows (same hardware).

All this on the same hardware. When you add to this how much faster and cheaper an Ivy Bridge PC can be built, it takes the already natively impressive lead and compounds it in a very non-linear way. You can be truly super-charged (for cheap) on a Windows solution. I mean, Apple hasn’t even told us if they’re even going to make new Mac Pros.

I lucked out in that my Mac Pro died and I was forced to build a new system. I was able to build a PC under 1000 bucks (in a 4U rackmount case) whose Geekbench score is about the same as the 5000 dollar 12-core (2010) Mac Pros. And, I’ve already confirmed that my little cheap homebuilt is faster than the preliminary benchmarks of the rumored Ivy Bridge iMacs, likely to be released soon. Let me say that again, I built a computer, already, that is cheaper and faster than one that Apple has not even released yet. And, it will be incrementally upgradable. In a few more months I’ll get a gamer’s CPU cooler and overclock it, then maybe get and SSD, then a new graphics card, etc.

I’m not trying to incite a platform war, on the contrary, I still use my Macbook Pro and Lion and love it – just not for audio production.

And I don’t miss my Mac Pro one bit.

Cubase rocks on Windows – I’ve seen this firsthand.

Best regards and good luck in whatever your decision ends up being.