Mimicking Hal Leonard's RealBook (6th Edition) Chord Symbols Appearance

Maybe, Since 2016, I’ve got lot of emails/requests about SMuFLising my legacy norfonts,… I was so busy with teaching, recordings, gigs… so I couldn’t give it a try. But, during the Covid period, I’ve spent almost all my time at home, teaching online and making/porting my old legacy fonts to SMuFL, it took me 3 years and half (2020/2021/2022) to complete my old handwritten and engraver fonts I designed years ago (since 2003)… Covid period was crucial for me to bring back my fonts online.

Like the same way you’d keep your own composition or a jewellery for yourself. There are somethings in life you can not sell and you can’t share. The raison why it’s not for sale, is that the font is till WIP, it works fine in Sibelius and Finale 25/26/27 but still not the same way in Dorico.

Forget it Mike :wink: no offense caused, but please put yourself in my place, having spent more than 6 months on that chord font and then you notice that it’s useless because of OpenType Feature anomalies, then you decide to give up the game… :pensive:
I might give it a try this summer and see how I can improve it, if I fix it, it can be then saleable.

4 Likes

Since this popped back up, I just wanted to mention my own opinions earlier on this thread have changed somewhat as I now mostly use doricolib files to make global chord edits rather than chord overrides. Not all chord edits are possible with doricolib files, but for the edits that are possible, it’s much better to do it that way IMO.

1 Like

Thank you for your very complete response to my comments, @NorFonts. I was clearly off-base in my understandings and wish you luck in your future undertakings.

1 Like

Thank you @Mike_999 :pray:

Thank you for your answer norfont i totaly undrestand.

1 Like

Actualy i am a music font addict almost :joy: and i would realy want to now how you create a font with wich software.
Could you tell me ?

I use FontLab 5 & FontLab8 to create and interpolate fonts.

You can try FontForge it is a freeware but can do (less/more) the same thing like FontLab.

In conjonction with FL I might want sometimes to use Adobe Illustrator and my Wacom Intuos Small Graphics Drawing Tablet.

You may want to use a scanner to scan symbols or shapes, but you can just use your smartphone camera at a higher resolution then import your screenshots and trace them in Ai or FL.

I mostly use my Wacom Intuos tablet for quick sketchs.

Wow thank you For your answer.
I don’t know if I have understand everything but ill try my best and If I have a question ill ask you.

Thank soooo much for taking the time to answer me
PS: I’m sorry for my English, I’m French.

Je le savais :wink:

Congratulation :clap:t2::clap:t2:

Do you have some tutoriel recommandation for me to start making fonts?
Or do you give lessons on this topic?

In Google, search for making font + tutorial, there are hundred of videos in YouTube that can help. Good luck.