mini-transport behavior in Write mode

When in Write mode, the only way I can get the mini-transport (or actual transport window) to reflect the timecode at the selected item is to hit P, and then immediately hit it again, since I’m not interested in listening to playback simply to understand where my selection is in the overall duration of the flow.

Is there a better way?

Not really. There are other ways, but not better ones. “P” is what’s changing the location of the cursor.

Thanks Dan. But “P” is not changing the position of the cursor. “P” is starting playback at the cursor where I’ve already made the selection. So it seems to me to be a superfluous keystroke.

Can you think of a reason that the transport timecode shouldn’t follow the selection in Write mode? Wondering if I should suggest this to the developers.

Because the timecode is intended to reflect the position of the cursor, not the selection. What if it’s a multi-selection? What if it’s a non-contiguous selection? I can’t say what the original reasoning was, but the behavior makes sense to me.

“P” is indeed changing the position of the cursor. If your cursor stopped at bar 5 or whatever, and you made a selection at bar 8 and pressed P, that’s where the cursor jumps to.

I sort of see what you mean. But if it is a multi-selection or a non-contiguous selection, my answer would be that the timecode should reflect the latest selected item. Can you think of an instance where that wouldn’t be helpful?

To put it the other way: In your example, the cursor is in bar 5 and the timecode reflects that initially. If I then select someplace else in the score, what would be a reason that I would want to refer to the timecode where the playback cursor is, instead of my new selection? Why the extra keystroke?

I could certainly be convinced of some other logic. I’m just not seeing it yet.

Use the options in Layout Options / Markers and Timecode, and you don’t need to use the playback window for this at all.

See https://steinberg.help/dorico/v3/en/dorico/topics/notation_reference/notation_reference_timecodes_frequency_changing_t.html

The clue to the logic is in the name: “playback window”. It shows you where you are playing, not what you are looking at on the screen. There is an option (in Preferences) NOT to scroll the screen display during playback, for example.

Edited my initial response once I understood that you meant the “playback window” was synonymous with the mini-transport. I think you are suggesting that I turn on the timecode staff to show timecode in the score (for example, at every bar). I suppose I could do this and then turn it off later, but it’d be nice to simply glance at the mini-transport and see the timecode at the note I’ve selected.

Yes, sorry if “playback window” made you think I meant “play mode”. (TBH I never really bother about the mini transport window, so I forgot what it was called!)

There’s a key command for “Move playhead to selection”, which is Alt+P by default. This updates the mini-transport without having to stop playback, so you might find this helpful.

I think it makes sense that the transport window follows the playhead, and this is consistent with DAWs such as Logic. It might not be apparent if you have the playhead set to hidden, though.

Anders, thank you! THIS is the answer to my initial question. Just hit Alt-P instead of P twice.

Regarding the general discussion of the mini-transport, I’d say that Dorico is not a DAW and therefore I don’t see the point of having a playback head that is untethered from the notation selection.

Also, Sibelius (ahem…) provides a very handy way of seeing useful information including timecode instantly, upon selecting anywhere in the score. Screenshot attached.

If users in general think that Dorico “isn’t a DAW”, it’s curious how many of the threads here are about playback, not notation. Just sayin’.