Minimising latency while recording/monitoring audio

Wow, superb. Thanks again, and apologies to OP.

Steve.

Yes, er, tremolo, vocalist, what…???

Anyway, I think I’m now set up a lot better than at the start of this thread, so thanks again for all replies, glad it’s sparked some off topic discussion too!

If I can just leave one final technical question open:

Does asio guard introduce any additional latency as far as monitoring thru cubase goes (ie not direct monitoring)? Say the buffer size is kept the same, will the 20ms extra latency reported when activating the asio guard mean that notes played in are heard 20ms later than when it’s not activated?

If not, then activating Asio Guard is clearly the way to go, simply because it allows lower buffer sizes. However if this latency is added to the monitored signal, then it’s not necessarily helping. Would be great to confirm one way or another, then I can just set and forget, and stop trying to trust my ears to listen for 20ms one way or another…

Does asio guard introduce any additional latency as far as monitoring thru cubase goes (ie not direct monitoring)? Say the buffer size is kept the same, will the 20ms extra latency reported when activating the asio guard mean that notes played in are heard 20ms later than when it’s not activated?

As far as I can work out, Asio guard always switches itself off for a track when you are in any record/live monitor mode so there is no extra latency on what you play/hear…I believe the only thing running 20ms later is playback of existing tracks.