Minor problems with 1.1 new features

in write mode:

-> Select some bars in some staves (a rectangular selection) all of them containig notes in two (1 upstem, 2 upstem) Voices and do Filter->Voices->2nd upstem. Result: The selection only includes the 2nd-upstem-notes in the first of the previously selected staves. The filter does not do the job for the total previous selection… as it should, I suppose and hope.

-> in a 9/8, I had tied half-dotted - quarter-dotted notes in two voices in one stave
After separating voices into separate staves, (copy both voices to new stave,
filter out and delete the superfluent voice), the remaining tied notes had
different stem directions. “Reset forced stem direction” did not work.
I hat to cut (and re-tie) them to get the stems in the same (and default) direction.

-> the tiny dynamics (and other) representation that stick to the “loaded” mouse pointer, if this mode was selected in the preferences, somehow disappeared, I dont know exactly when and what I was doing then, and did not show up again until restart of dorico.

-> for some reason in some staves (of additionaly created players), the bar-rests disappeard (in all empty bars, starting with the first empty bar in the stave up to the end of flow) . When I created the players, the rests where in their place. I can’t say when this happend, and what I was doing at or before that moment. I had to insert a note in the first position in the first rest-missing bars in all those staves and then delete it -> rests reappeared then.

Unfortunately, the voices are actually not the same, and hence they can’t be selected by the same operation. The menu is populated based on the voices in the top staff in the selection, and the voices on the other staves are not the same voices (it’s not like in Sibelius or Finale where you have a fixed set of voices available on each staff).

I’m not sure I can visualise this situation. Perhaps you could attach a minimal case in a new project (zip it up before you attach it) to help me understand better? When you paste music onto a new staff, it is pasted into the first voice on that staff, which will be an up-stem voice rather than matching the voice of the original selection.

I’ve not seen reports of this before. If you can come up with any reproducible steps we can look into this further.

If this happens again, check the last visible note on that staff and make sure that it doesn’t have the ‘Ends voice’ property set.

I imported another music-xml-sibelius-export into a new flow. I then copied the contents of a imported horn stave to the already existent horn stave in the file -> no bar-rests up to the first notes in the stave (bar-rests1.png an dbar-rests2.png.
I found indeed, that both (!) notes (upper voice 1 and lower voice 2) in par-rests2.png - the first notes for the instrument in the stave - showed the “begins voice”-property selected. With setting it back in voice 2 also voice 1 lost this property. So this solved the the problem (workaround).
Interesting: in the original imported staff there were bar-rests visible, and voice 1 did not show the start-voice property, it was only found (as it should be) on voice 2…
bar-rests2.png
bar-rests1.png

What ever it was, I was not able to reproduce this behavior. On the same import now it works like expected.
Magic!

Ok, but I do not understand fully -:
It’s clear that the menu must be populated from one i.e. the first (top) staff in the selection.
But if there are “comparable” voices - that means: same description like “Stimme 1 Hälse abwärts” ~= “voice 1 stems down” - (and also the same notehead color, if shown) in the further staves, why can’t
dorico recognize them in this case as “same voice” and do the required filter action also on them?

(And with this I would not expect dorico to know that a voice created in one staff as “2 voice stems up” and a voice in another staff created as “1 voice stems down” could be from my point of view both “2nd voices” - while from dorico’s point of view they are clearly different voices.)

Perhaps in the future we could expand this functionality further, but at the moment, it works the way I have explained: the voices in the menus are populated based on the first staff in the selection. Each voice has its own unique ID. The voices on the second and subsequent staves do not have the same ID as the voices on the first staff, since they are unique.

Now I caught the bug again (see attachment):

The tied notes shown in the second staff were originally “1 voice stem down” in the first staff, the second staff was empty. I selected all notes, filtered for “1 voce stem down”, STRG-X, selected start bar in the second staff, and did an “insert into voice -> 1 voice stem up”.
Makes some stems up, some down in the tied notes. (attachment)
I tried “reset forced stem direction” - > no change. When I cut the tie, the stems flip to their natural direction, and I can retie them in the correct manner (“corrected” version).
corrected-tied-notes-wrong-stem-after-insert-into-voice.png
tied-notes-wrong-stem-after-insert-into-voice.png

You may want to consider doing Edit > Stems > Remove Forced Direction on the whole score after importing it from MusicXML. (This option should be switched off by default on the MusicXML Import page of Preferences in any case, but check that it is.)

In general you should be able to change the stem direction of a whole tie chain in one step in Write mode, but this doesn’t work at present. However, it’s always possible in Engrave mode where you can select each notehead/chord in the tie chain and its stem individually.