Minor tuplet workflow improvement suggestion

Dear Dorico team,

Your software has a lot of very neat workflow features, one of them is that if you select a note and bring up the tuplet popover it is already prepared with 3:2, and in this way the next thing to do in order to create triplets out of the following notes is to simply press enter. Very neat! However, I (and probably the majority of us) would love to be equally lazy in note input mode; apparently the tuplet popover is not prepared with anything when in note input mode. This would potentially mean that I could input triplets without the need to move my hand during the creation of them (because ; and [enter] are located close enough to each other).

All the best!

You don’t need to type 3:2 - typing 3 has exactly the same effect.

I’d prefer the OP’s suggestion as well. The tuplet could default to 3:2 in a simple meter, and default to 2:3 in a compound meter.

I am aware of that. It could as well be prepared with 3 instead of 3:2; everything that is anything is better than nothing in terms of pre filled tuplet popovers (or any popover for that matter). :smiley:

Frigolito, just in case you’re not aware: One-button shortcut for tuplets? - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

Just playing devils advocate, the only problem with pre-populating everything is that lazy people (and high school students!) are going to write music in 4/4 time and C major that only uses triplets, rather than using their imaginations…

IIRC Daniel actually make a comment similar to that about other well known notation apps, back in the early days of Dorico :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip! Although, it would be nice to avoid any hassle… :stuck_out_tongue:

It is definitely a valid point! However, in this case, since they chose to have the popover pre filled outside note entering mode, I only find it inconsistent to not have it pre filled inside note entering mode as well. Whatever philosophy they choose to follow, they should be consistent.

Yes, Rob! I definitely think those tuplet popovers should be populated with random ratios just to drive those students to creative distractions. Similarly time signatures should randomly change every few measures, hopefully to time signatures with prime number numerators. Let’s show those students what creativity is all about! :laughing:

(How about randomly changing key signatures as well? Let’s give those complacent creatives a kick in the pants.)

(Now back to writing my four-chord song in 4/4–no tuplets. :mrgreen: )