Misc dual monitor trouble (dialogs/dropdowns not appearing), minor audio export bug and minor UI bug

Hi,

I would like to report three bugs.

1. Audio export with audio engine off

If I export flows and players as audio with the audio engine turned off, it just silently “fails” and does nothing. No errors, no files created, nothing. It works if I turn the audio engine on again (I am referring to the “power” button). A prompt should ask the user something like “To export audio the audio engine must be turned on [yes/cancel]”.

1. Dual Monitor trouble

This is a bigger one. Ever since I upgraded from Dorico 3.5 to Dorico 4 I’ve had A LOT of trouble related to my dual monitor setup. I have one 4k monitor and one 1080p monitor, the 1080p monitor is in portrait mode and is set up as the secondary monitor in Windows. For Dorico I use this secondary monitor as my primary though, since it’s in portrait which is good for sheet music. Anyway, the problem is Dorico 4 is sometimes useless in this setup, because dialogs and popup menus DO NOT APPEAR at all! I cannot open the mixer, nothing happens when I click the mixer button. I can see that an “invisible” window is created. For the mixer specifically, I found a trick - I can right click the window in the task bar and select minimize, then maximize it again, and then I can see it. I have to do that occasionally. Everything works fine if I disconnect my secondary monitor.

Regarding popup menus, it’s super annoying. I’m referring to any menu that is supposed to drop down, for example the drop down that says “Full score” by default and where you can select different players to show only their sheet music. Also in play mode - drop down for selecting VST, drop down for selecting flow, Drop down for insert effects, routing, and much much more. I can’t touch anything that is a drop down because it simply does not drop down.

I initially suspected that the problem was because I had different DPI scaling on my monitors (100 % on the 4k and 150 % on the 1080p), but the problem is still there if I use 100 % both.

My workaround is to manually MOVE dorico to monitor 1, click the drop down menu and select something, then move the window back to monitor 2… It’s exhausting but it works. And by the way monitor 1 is where I have Cubase Pro running for mixing as I like to keep them side by side. It looks ridiculous having this high end setup with two professional softwares but to use them I have to break my desktop setup and move things around, looks very unprofessional when people are here working with me.

1. White title bar on Windows 11 dark theme

This is another minor one, but I am using a dark Windows 11 theme and the Dorico titlebar (or whatever it’s called, the bar on top of the application with the close, minize, buttons) is WHITE. All other applications are very dark gray, but Dorico is white and it looks very bad.
This bug also applies to Cubase 12 Pro by the way.

FYI I am on Windows 11 and have Dorico Pro 4.0.31. Both (1), (2) and (3) have been going on since Dorico 4 was launched.

Thanks for your time and let me know if there’s anything I can do to help you debug the problem.

I don’t know if this helps, because I’m a Mac user, but I have had a similar issue. If I am using Dorico on two monitors, one being my Macbook screen, and then disconnect the external monitor, and later reconnect it, the dropdown menus from the external monitor appear on the Macbook screen. The solution has been simply to quit and restart Dorico whenever I return to my desk and connect the external monitor.

1. Yes. I’ve been caught by that one. Sometimes, though, the export just ‘hangs’ at 0% on the progress bar…
  2. I have no problems with multiple monitors on Win 10 (Main Dorico running on monitor 2)
  3. Title bar - It has always been like this…

The problems with multiple monitors are certainly vexing. Unfortunately they are rather awkward for us to fix, because they are problems in the Qt application framework that Dorico is built upon, and in order to fix them we would have to fix the framework itself – this is something that’s possible for us to do, but one of the reasons we use Qt is so that we don’t have to worry about these kinds of low-level issues, and can focus our limited development time on building valuable features. So we continue to report the problems as we find them and hope that the Qt development team will fix them for us.