Missed opportunity

I started using Dorico Elements a few days ago without prior knowledge of such type of software. I am also new to sheet music in general and piano playing.

With only the manual I would have struggled to get started but there is the already mentioned Dorico_First_Steps_5_First_Steps_en.pdf.
(together with other ressources on Dorico Elements 5 Documentation)

And that one was great for me. I am now able to create simple beginner piano sheets for myself. I still not fully understood the audio routing into a vst and back into Dorico, but I have not read the Halion pdf :-). But I can already playback the music (even without using the playback template - that one was missing in my Dorico because I did not install the extra content).

Now, that I got the general idea about how Dorico works, the manual also starts to make sense. Like others said, it is a reference not a learning ressource.

In my opinion it is not to difficult to learn Dorico especially with the first steps pdf.

What I found to be complicated is not Dorico itself but the VST stuff.

There is one thing though in Dorico which drove me crazy - you can’t edit the tempo (the tempory one in the top right of the user interface) by typing the value in. I thought I am stupid to only find the slider but not a way to type in the value. I needed to search with google to find out that this is indeed not possible.

But so far I like Dorico.

5 Likes

Really basic questions:

hiding stems
Are you doing that just with particularly obvious notes, for improved readability?

I’m not sure what you’re referring to by “and noteheads”. Hiding them? Converting to slashes? Changing noteheads?

I often use hide stems and beams for harp glissandi, and I’ve had to hide noteheads for certain types of notation.

I don’t use these to deal with awkward engraving problems. I try to stick to standard solutions for those cases.

OH! and speaking of the Stream Deck: it is SO much faster for entering trills on many individual notes.
I was hoping that selecting a group of notes would enter a trill on each, but either I’m missing a setting in Dorico, or it doesn’t do this at all.
So at least for now, the SD is quickest.

1 Like

Select notes in a single part and Dorico will add a single trill across them all (probably not what you want)
Select notes in different parts and Dorico will add a trill to each of them.

Create one trill (I find shift-o tr quick to enter), then alt-click wherever they are needed.

Luckily you are!

Preferences > Note Input and Editing > Editing > Create separate trills for each selected note

(And before anyone asks: yes it’s documented.)

4 Likes

Thanks, Lillie for today’s learning moment! I’d missed that one!.

1 Like

well NOW it’s too late… I’ve finished entering all the notes for my symphony!

harumph

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks for the info.
I’ve made the change to my default so it’s always like this.

The more I use it, the more I love Dorico.

1 Like

You should write a new symphony… just for the trill of it.

12 Likes

badum-pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

/groan

2 Likes