Missing MIDI port in 32 bit, working fine in 64 bit

Hello,

I recently upgraded my Cubase from version 5 to version 6. I have a Windows 7 64 bit and Edirol FA-101 Firewire audio interface. I kept Cubase 5 installation, so I can now run both Cubase 5 and 6 (and both 32 bit and 64 bit version).

The problem I am experiencing is Cubase 6 32 bit version. If I open the same song in different versions of Cubase, then Cubase 6 32 bit complains about missing FA-101 MIDI-Out port, so the tracks that should be sent to the external instrument via this port don’t play. If I open the same songs using 64 bit version or using old Cubase 5 32 bit version, then FA-101 MIDI-Out port is detected and the tracks are played fine.

Does anybody know what can cause this problem?

It is possible that the driver is not installed for that particular version of Cubase. Of course there could be as many as four different versions of the driver between 32 and 64 bit versions of C5 and C6 (probably just 2 though, 32 bit and 64 bit). Make sure that when you installed the driver it didn’t just install in the C5 folder and ignore the C6 folder. You may have to copy the file to the C6 folder yourself.
Or, it is possible that the driver for that particular version has a bug. Try checking the audio interface website and see if there is an update or if anyone else is having that problem.
HTH
J.L.

Never mind - I’ve figured it out. In the MIDI device port setup the port was called “Edirol FA-101” (set by the old version of driver) while the newest driver version specifies the name as “FA-101”. Reassigning the external instrument to the correctly named port did the trick.

Thank you for you help!