"Missing ports" - can't get sound in cubase

I use an Fractal Audio Axe FX II to record my guitar. Every single time I try to connect the axe-fx to my computer to record something in Cubase, I have to spend an eternity to get sound from the axe in cubase. It’s like winning the lottery each time I actually get to record something, and I really don’t know how I manage to get sound in the end. I have the same issue when I use a Steinberg CL2 external audio interface.

I keep getting “VST System link has been deactivated because of too many receive errors!!”, and then the “In port” changes to an Inactive state.

Axe-fx is the default playback and recording device.

Edit: allright. I just opened a random old project, cubase tells me “Missing ports” and I choose “IN 1”. It now works. Cubase gets guitarsound.
This is probably what I’ve done each time: open an old project to get that error message, then I use that project for new stuff and just save as “new project”. Bbut it’s a McGyver solution.
Any suggestions on how to fix this crap?

How can I get my axe-fx to work as “default” in cubase for all my projects?

What version of Cubase are you using?

Take a look at setting up and saving a default project template to start future projects from after you have things set up correctly.

Cubase 5.
I’ve solved the problem.
I didn’t know about the “VST connections” page in Cubase. Fiddled around there with the settings and now it works.

Only problem I have now is that that I have to unplug and replug the USB cable between Axe-fx II and computer in order to get sound through the Axe :slight_smile: I can live with that!