Mix automation strategies

I’m convinced that I’m missing something obvious.

When I’m mixing, I start by getting the faders on all the tracks to a good starting level. What I want to do is write those starting faders on all tracks to the automation track. In ProTools, snapshot automation will write the current fader level as an automation event at the cursor to all write enabled tracks. Nuendo has snapshot, Cubase not.

So, what I do is use the pencil tool on every volume automation lane (manually put in an automation event).

Surely, there must be a better way. What obvious thing am I missing here?

Isn’t the current (i.e. pre turning automation on) fader level already there on the track? (and then inherited when you do turn automation on).

I’ve never found it a problem, but maybe I’m not getting what you mean.

Isn’t the current (i.e. pre turning automation on) fader level already there on the track? (and then inherited when you do turn automation on).

Not exactly…Because no automation point is created even if you turn on read automation you can still move the fader freely. If there is an automation point the fader is locked to/by the automation track.

Have been trying to think of a way but the best I can offer is to link channels (Volume plus automation read/write) in the mixer, hit write on any channel, hit play and move any fader away and back to where you set it before the song starts.

Not perfect but certainly quicker than drawing events a track at a time.