Mix external input?

Hello,

I asked this question in the Cubase forum last week and got no reply. Trying here.

Is there a way to mix some external input with the Mix in the Control Room? I don’t want to create a channel in actual mix to bring it in. I’d like to use it to monitor the output of the video playback system so I don’t want an extra channel in every project. All I can figure out is that you can switch to it. I can’t figure out whether it’s possible to just mix a little in somewhere.

Thanks,

– Jason

You could use a hardware mixing console. Then you completely bypass your DAW.

Because otherwise I am pretty sure you need to create some sort of DAW object track to be able to bring it into the Control Room for monitoring.

Should be possible in Control room.
There you can merge different external/internal signals.

Fredo

As Fredo said, set it in the contorl room

1 Like

Yes, thanks. I understand how to set it up. But as far as listening to it, in the CR, I can only see that you can switch to it. I don’t see that there’s any way to mix external input with the main mix without creating a channel in each project, like noeqplease says.

I am using an external mixer at the moment, actually RME TotalMix. But I had hoped there was a way to do this in Cubase/Nuendo so I could control mute and solo with C/N key commands.

Here’s what I have in Audio Connections and CR. It looks to me like you can only switch between listening to Main or Ext. Where’s the fader that puts a little Ext on Main?

Thanks,

– Jason

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks, Fredo, I see that. But as far as I can tell, there is no way to create a Monitor Source from an External Input. I can create a Monitor Source from a normal audio input, but then it’s no longer included in the saved Control Room preset. It has be included in the Input preset of any project I open or it will disappear from Monitor Sources when I open a project that doesn’t have it.

I want it to be there all the time and not require any modification to projects or project input presets. It’s part of my studio monitoring playback setup and shouldn’t be dependent on project settings. That’s why I was hoping to use “External Input”.

Is there any way to always have a named audio input connection available, regardless of what Inputs Preset the current project activates?

– Jason

Yeah, you are correct. My mistake.

Solutions: Template or Track preset for the incoming signal.

Fredo

Yeah no way to do this except to create an audio track and set the external input as the input for the track and enable the monitor. I use external monitoring all of the time for reference tracks. If I need to align with it I simply bounce the track so that I can work with it in my project.