Mix with loudness on or not on amp?

Kim: I know I’m not the best mixer in the world, but my personal preference is to mix in a flat environment. The idea is that people have come to expect that “pushing the loudness button” is going to emphasize the low end and muddy (somewhat) the sound. If you make that sound the default you’re not detracting from those who do not subscribe to that philosophy.

However, if you are able to successfully avoid EQ band collisions especially between the kick, the bass, and the low-end of the rhythm guitar(s) then you may be able to get away with either choice. Or, better yet, you can mix with one and then the other and get good results in both situations.

Loudness off! If you are talking about a effect or a boost button. Also get 2 more hifi headphones and a hi fi speaker system and mix on these as well as the studio monitor! Mix in between! Find the relativity.

people are used to listening through loudness with mixes done without loudness. You do something different so your mix will be offset from what people are used to like a sore thumb. It will sound like loudness on loudness because … it is! But here’s a nifty solution for you. You can start all your song with a message:
" For best results you may wish to turn your loudness switch off for this song!"
and at the end:
“Don’t forget to turn on your loudness again!”

If you wish I put a link up to my PayPal donation account? :ugeek:

hm, seems like some of you guys are missing the point. If he mix with loudness on the amp the resulting bounced mix will not have more loudness on it, but less. So when listened back with the loudness on it sounds right, if loudness is off it will probably sound weak and thin.

VERY well put.

Thank you

All the best, Kim :slight_smile:

Yep absolutely true.

But I’ve gotten over this train of thought now. Will continue to mix with loudness set to OFF :slight_smile:

All the best, Kim

I realized that when I was thinking about nothing special and my brain was in autopilot/self purging mode on my way to the grocery store. It thinks much better without me! :blush:

Not that I an certified expert, but I would NEVER buy a BOSE system myself.

it is like buying a Mercedes for the star on the hood.
Good car yes, but should really cost 1/2 the price.
Because what you are getting does not justify the pricetag

It is the same with Bang & Olufsen
Good stuff yes, but priced 3 times more than it is actually worth

Kim :slight_smile:

B&O is only design. They get their intestines from elsewhere, but of course still they put an outrageous price tag on the box! :laughing:

We have a BOSE sound system in our church for amplification of speech and music (300m^2 area) and they’re excellent. Not sure what they cost but they’re very good. I suppose it’s not the same thing as their hifi setups though.

+1
{‘-’}