MixConsole horizontal zoom resets to maximum

Approximately 20% of the time, when the MixConsole window is opened with F3, the horizontal zoom level is reset to maximum, showing only 2 or 3 huge channels.

1. Create an empty project.
  2. Add a large number of tracks, say 70 audio tracks.
  3. Press F3 then Shift+G to zoom all the way out so that the largest possible number of channels are shown in MixConsole.
  4. Press F3 to close the MixConsole.
  5. Select any track other than the currently selected one.
  6. Press F3 to reopen the MixConsole.
  7. Repeat from step 4.

At some point, at step 6, the MixConsole’s zoom level will change to maximum and show only a couple of channels. Sometimes it takes 10 attempts, sometimes 30. It seems random. But it has been a consistent issue for me for a month now.

Hello,

Do you have Console 1 or any third party plug-ins that control the mixer somehow?

Best regards,
GN

It happens on new empty projects, like I wrote above.

Hello,

Yes, I noticed and edited my post accordingly.

Best regards,
GN

No. I use a very limited set of plugins, nothing out of the ordinary: VEP, Ivory piano, Izotope Alloy, a few UADs, Komplete 8. No mixer-related stuff.

Hello,

So, I have been trying this for the last hour and cannot reproduce it.
I am on a Mac Book Pro with Yosemite 10.10.3 and the latest Cubase Pro 8.0.20 installed.
May I suggest the following:

Start Cubase in safe mode: https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/safe-start-mode-resetting-the-cubase-preferences.html
Reset the Mix-console Window, while pressing ALT click on the Functions menu.

Best regards,
GN

Hi,

I could reproduce this after only 6 or 7 attempts on my current setup (see below, I didn’t update yet to 8.0.20 because none of the fixes were relevant to my use of the software).

However, I couldn’t reproduce this after starting in safe mode. Do you have an idea of which preference setting might be causing this?

Thank you.

Hello,

Unfortunately no, and that is probably something that we will never know.

Best regards,
GN

IMHO this belongs more in a discussion about God than about software issues… I’m willing to try any steps necessary to reproduce what is obviously a bug hiding somewhere in a deterministic sequences of events, but I’ll be needing some guidance. Unless, of course, Steinberg wishes to declare this an unsolvable bug and leave it at that (which would be a big disappointment to say the least).

Thanks.

Hello,

Some times the preferences get corrupted and this type of issues occur, deleting the preferences or starting in safe mode solves the issue. It was probably the defaults.xml file.
You can move it to the desktop and try again, if it solves the issue you have found a solution.

Best regards,
GN

this is an old post!

But Steinberg needs to start collecting crash data along with user preferences ( can be stored as a hash file) and research vigorously to find the causes to the cubase issues with corrupt ( or whatever) preferences.