Mixdown Cuts Off Audio Wherever it Pleases

My mixes are pretty simple single track stereo mixes.

When doing a mixdown the percentage meter runs, then all of a sudden zooms through the rest of the song. If I leave my in and out points alone and do another mix down, the same thing happens, but at a different point during the mixdown.

I can mixdown a song as many times as I want - never changing the in and out points and get an entirely different length each time. Sometimes a few seconds, other times a few minutes. No two are ever the same. None is ever the entire song (in this case, the song is only a couple of minutes long).

I’ve shut down the application, I’ve rebooted the machine. I’ve closed all running applications…

I don’t see any errors in my computer’s error logs.

I’m running Windows 7, 64 bit. I have 8GB of RAM. My root drive is 1TB with 150GB free, my secondary drive is 2TB with 1TB free (this is where I have CuBase putting all the work.

Thoughts?

In and Out points—Do you mean “THE LOCATORS” :question:
Have you read the manual :wink: about Mixdowns and THE LOCATORS :question:

Locators - click here http://home.comcast.net/~halljack505/pwpimages/Locators%201.PNG

Jack :smiley:

Sorry, yes, I’m talking about the locators. I’ve read the manual about them, so I’m pretty sure that I’m using them correctly: I set the left locator at the top of my track and the right locator at the end of my track.

The really odd thing is, when I do a mixdown, the resulting audio file always starts at the same and correct point but never stops at the same or correct point… I can do a mix down, and get a 45 second snip of music then immediately do another mix down without changing a thing and end up with a 5 second snip of music… Do it yet again, and this time I might get 32 seconds…

X: Hmm —What version of Cubase are you using? :question:
And are your Locators reversed :question:
The Area between the Locators should be Blue not Red :wink:
check my link out again of the locators :wink:

Jack :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Could you by chance be using any step sequencers that are cutting off at various points in the project? :bulb: Or is your computer overloading during mixdown? Which format are you exporting to?

What version of Cubase are you using?

LE 4. Old I know, it is what came with my LambdA.

And are your Locators reversed

No, they are blue. Just for fun, I reversed the locators. I got an error message that said “Need String here! You need to set the Locators!”

Could you by chance be using any step sequencers that are cutting off at various points in the project?

This would only be an issue if I had MIDI data in the file, no? All I have is a pure stereo audio track.

Or is your computer overloading during mixdown?

I had this thought as well, so I monitored memory, HD cues, and processor usage. I’m on Windows 7 64bit with an AMD Phenom II x4 940 3GHz processor, 2 2TB drives each with plenty of available space, none of the cues or timers peg out when I’m doing the mixdown.

Which format are you exporting to?

I’ve tried WAV, WMA, AIFC, and AIFF. They all show the same behavior.

X: I’m Kinda Stumped. Maybe trash the Preferences https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/removing-the-preferences-of-the-sequencer/kb_back/2025.html?tx_p77sbknowledgebase_pi1[keyword_search]=Preferences

Bane - Shinta - or Split — any thoughts for X :question:

Jack :slight_smile:

Do try trashing your preferences. Does this happen in all of your projects or only a certain one?

Do try trashing your preferences. Does this happen in all of your projects or only a certain one?

X: I’m Kinda Stumped. Maybe trash the Preferences > https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/kn > … references

It has been happening all the time - granted, it didn’t always do this.

So I did as advised and it took my mix-down and I got the entire selected file. I did the mix down twice and got the same file each time, perfect. So maybe there was something corrupt in one of the preference files?

Thanks guys! Hopefully I won’t have to revisit this issue anytime soon.

X: Glad to here it. YA when in dought “Trash the Preferences” :smiley:

Jack :smiley: :smiley:

Yeah!! :smiley:

High-five, Halljack! :sunglasses: