Mixer and CCs

Hi,

I can’t understand what’s the link between MIDI CCs and the Dorico 4’s Mixer.

When starting playback, D4 is still sending some CCs with a default value. These are, apparently, CC7=100 and CC11=110. I don’t know if other messages are sent.

Incidentally, I don’t like this behavior. Usually, orchestral VI’s volume is set at the factory to balance each instrument against the others, and this reset scrambles everything. Rebuilding the right balance can be a very long and tedious work.

In any case, I can’t see Dorico Mixer’s faders following the CC7 values written in the corresponding tracks. Are these faders and the Mixer faders linked in some way? Or are they an additional layer of volume control? Is there some CC that can be inserted in the tracks to adjust them, or are they intended as static controls?

Paolo

My understanding is that the mixer is about audio signal. CCs are about MIDI information. Apples and oranges. CCs will intervene before any audio signal is calculated. Mixer will intervene once the audio flows exist and have to be mixed together. Hope it helps!

Not sure this is correct, Marc. MIDI CC are controls acting on an audio signal. Everything they do has a consequence on the audio signal. A MIDI CC7 controlling the volume in a virtual instrument is no different than one controlling the volume of the track to which the virtual instrument is linked: they both control the sound volume. Only, eventually, in different points of the signal flow.

Paolo

Dorico sends:
Pitch Bend (0)
CC7 (100) (general volume)
CC10 (64) (pan)
CC64 (0) (Sustain pedal)
CC121 (All controllers off)
CC123 (All notes off)

It does not send CC11.

If the option is checked in preferences it will also send CC64, CC121 and CC123 when playtback stops.

At least In Kontakt one can disable CC7 and CC10…

1 Like

Not really, no. They are acting on the instrument that is producing the sound. Before it’s actually calculated. Or before it’s actually “out of the box” that is the virtual instrument.

Well, yes. Different points of the signal flow. But it’s important to be clear about this. Because, at a certain point, some automation could be applied to the audio mixer, some remote control too. And it could also be done using MIDI information but not the same kind as the one used to modify the creation of the audio signal, in the VSTi.