Mixer Track Meter - (updated: confusing scales at certain zoom levels)

Just noticed that the meters in the mixer window of N13 now have a scale. Except it’s always in dBFS.

So the numbers on the scale and where your fader is doesn’t line up, which is not technically incorrect, but just weird and distracting. And it doesn’t follow and preference settings, it appears to be hardcoded.

If you have a fader and then markings right next to it, intuitively you expect them to match the fader position. Does so on any control surface I’ve ever used.

Add this to the list as not completely thought through UI ‘improvements’

N13
(note on the first green fader, the marking is around -19dBFS, while the fader itself is actually at -10.4dB as properly displayed in the numbers below.)

Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 11.08.12 AM

N12:
Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 11.03.12 AM

1 Like

New channel side-window does it better:
Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 11.25.51 AM

This isn’t new and was the same in Nuendo 12, but it depended on the zoom level (both screenshots of v12):

Maybe we can rephrase the issue:
the top number on the fader is fixed to 0/zero dB(?) and that is really not what we expect 12).

Ah, didn’t notice that detail. Thanks for correcting me.

Made worse by the flat design :slight_smile:

I guess the improvement could be to get rid of that mid-way zoom where one set of numbers disappears but not the other. So it’s either always both or neither, but not mix/match. But now we’re getting into details that will get stuck in the noise.

1 Like

It’s what I expect. Normal deliverables are in 16 or 24-bit fixed numbers so 0dBFS is the maximum allowable output. I think best practice is to not go above that number throughout the signal chain, at least not by much. So since we want to be able to see clipping easily 0dBFS seems fine and if we want further detailed numbers we can look at the peak number below the meter.

So personally I wouldn’t want it to change.

3 Likes

Sorry confused by the design; i thought these were indicators for the fader NOT the scale ::slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s exactly the issue. At a certain zoom level (when numbers are still on the meter, but have been removed from the fader), this can cause this confusion. And the flat design made it more confusion prone as now there is not as much separation between the fader and the meter visually.

1 Like

Completely agree. I think I (and others of course) brought that up in one of the other threads. The difference between meter and fader section could benefit from being bigger. I don’t really spend much time looking at those meters, but I also don’t see the point in making the difference so small…

Right, I remember. There’s some merit if it allows more tracks to be on screen at once. But in this case it doesn’t seem to be working well. So better with clear separation than maxing out tracks. There’s always configurations and a scroll bar as last resort.

Especially (at least in N12) as the dynamic meter bars, when they rise, hide the meter numbers.

On the separation as such fader-meter, I think for the background of the meters a 100% white would be better. — You’ve got to be kidding. -:slight_smile:

Seriously, I think that a slight color contrast between the fader background and the meter background would avoid eating up space and would serve well the identification of each. This is done by the color intensity level of the consonant slices, which is an option, isn’t it? On your example of N13 (which I don’t have), it’s all dark gray, so the option is at zero. I don’t know if my text is clear in English.