Mixing a Song with VST Connect

I’ve been a Cubase user for years but have never used VST Connect. Until recently, I was co-owner of a recording studio in Seoul, Korea. The other co-owner just moved back to Canada, and we’ve been trying to find a way to continue mixing projects together while living in separate countries.

So my question is, how good is the sound quality on the Performer end of VST connect? In theory, if my friend is working on the mix in Canada, could he send the main output to me through VST Connect, and I could monitor what he’s doing and give feedback from the Performer end? We wouldn’t be recording anything, just mixing the project. Would the audio quality on my receiving end be good enough for that?

I’m really interested to hear what any experienced VST Connect users have to say. Thanks.

There are several projects which “abuse” VST Connect like this just for its sound quality. The PRO version even provides lossless compression, but in general the 320 kBit compression option is already quite sufficient.

the App, StudioPass would be perfect for this…

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/studio-pass-for-vst-connect-pro/id734468931

currently doesn’t work on recent hardware/IOS however :frowning:

and yes 320kB is high enough for 99% of the time.

Musicullum: this is an interesting idea. Out of curiosity, what are the other ways people are “abusing” vst connect in?

There is a band from Berlin named “mamasweed”, they used VST connect to broadcast their performance right from their rehersal room, to pubs in Brisbane and elsewhere, who showed it on a beamer. the audience could talk to the band. Skype wouldn’t provide the audio quality…