Mixing Direct Monitoring with Studio Headphone Mix Output?

Well, presumably you can’t do it through the Control Room … as I believe that would reintroduce the same latency as simply monitoring the track being recorded through Cubase.

This may be a specific question for my audio interface forum, RME, but in general is this possible? Is it done through the software mixer of the audio interface?

So, if a direct monitoring signal is coming back out the interface immediately prior to entering the DAW, how/ where is it mixed back into any particular output?

I’m probably too confused about this to ask an intelligent question … but any help assisting me in getting my head around this would be greatly appreciated.

Como

This may be a specific question for my audio interface forum, RME, but in general is this possible? Is it done through the software mixer of the audio interface?

Yes it’s done by the interface software (though Cubase can sometimes control it)

So, if a direct monitoring signal is coming back out the interface immediately prior to entering the DAW, how/ where is it mixed back into any particular output?

It would normally be mixed direct to the main stereo out of your card (& so to your monitors & headphone output) but if you have multiple outs feeding separate monitor/headphone amp they will be selectable in the rme software.

Thanks, Grim … Now that I understand it is possible, I’ll start trying to figure it out.

The RME soft mixer is amazing … but intimidating when you don’t change/ configure it often. So far for me it’s back to the manual everytime … with a fear I’m going to screw everything up by changing something that already works and being unable to figure out how to change it back!

I know it can be midi controlled through Cubase, but that’s something I’ve never gotten around to setting up.

Como