Mixing into Compression!

Bastards! :imp: :laughing:

"quote art" :nerd:

Who is Art? And, why can’t we quote him?

I do use compressors/limiters but not for controlling dynamics, I use EQ for that!" :sunglasses:

It’s against the law :slight_smile:

Aaaah, a little Sherlock Holmes! :wink:

Of course, that’s what it’s designed for… :sunglasses:

I’m impressed, but all this talk of compression depresses me.

Here, we call it compression on the 2 buss. :slight_smile:

What about 5.1?

I like cake… and I always mix before I get on the bus.
mixer1.jpg

Uh, THIS is the REAL “bus”… and I wouldn’t want to mix with HIM!

Why not? It’s all padding! You can just bounce around having intimate fun without any bruises :slight_smile: - OTOH in real Rugby the players don’t use padding.

What’s your Analog to Digital conversion standard? :slight_smile:

Yeah, right – padding plus about 285 lbs of solid muscle!

I’ve recently entered into the world of compression, and even though Cubase is now stable, I think I’m corrupted. :laughing:

I’ll use a little on the majority of the tracks, and mix without any compression on the 2bus… until it comes time to mix with compression on the 2bus. Then I do so.

Me too (not perhaps the majority, but where I think the dynamics are a little out there)… But when I am done I often will export audio mix-down both ways, and then A/B them carefully, in some instances, I think it works well with bus compression, dependent on the nature of the material.

Again, it is all about what sounds good, not so much the science…

Exactly and my point has always been that it doesn’t make any sense to spend hours crafting a mix only to compress it afterwards with the result of changing the mix.

If you mix into compression then you get that compressed sound with all the elements staying where you want them.

Mixing into compression is also great for making a dynamic mix that stays glued together. For example: You want to boost a tom fill before the chorus using automation. if you do that while mixing into compression the compressors ducks everything else down a bit thus preventing the tom fill from leaping out and unbalancing things.

Its not all padding;just thigh and shoulders mostly and they’re hitting far,far hardder than rugby players ever would or could.

Plus they’re usually running towards each other at full speed (don’t see that in Rugby much) and this results in greater momentum = HARD HITS