Mix's Sound Like Mud In C6

I’m dying to see the resolution of this problem - prolly not as much as you are though

Yes…Please make it end :mrgreen:

First, did you check out the control-room suggestion someone mentioned above? It sounds like a good one to me.
you should probably just export to wave files instead of burning a disk - I’m sure that you’ll hear the same problem if you export with the same project setup as you had to begin with at the onset of these problems. In the unlikely case that you don’t have the same problem exporting waves instead of CDs, I’d try burning the CDs using something else for the time being.
After that, here’s my advice to lick this one - thinking that it’s probably an effect that isn’t working with Cubase 6 very well. Try this:
That’s all I can think of for now… wish you luck, and let us know…
Dave[/quote]

I have all control room disabled. I’m exporting wave files then I’m using another application to burn the disks. I have shut down several plugs and I’m only using PSP Mix Pressure and Stereo Expander on the main bus with no sends. The last few mixes sound better in XP mode. I will switch back to W7 and export the same mix. For some reason I was able to mix much faster with better results in the older versions of Cubase. My exports sounded like my mixes.

I wish I knew how to post examples. I have mix downs from SX3 that I used identical settings in the C6 Mix and the SX mix is much more crisp and sonically defined.

Have you listened to the mixdown file directly? Is it alright?

Yes, but I’m listening through the same referance monitors and headphones.I’m going to hook up my good stereo to my board and see if there is a difference.

I can’t wait to find out what the problem was as well.

Sounds like a phase canceling issue and the mentions of stereo expanders, fix it at the mix buss and pyscho acoustic type plugins has me suspicious. I’ll be surprised if its the operating system.

One person mentioned not going to 64 bit above because they have so many 32 bit plugins. That confuses me as I run 64 bit Cubase and still use my old 32 plugs as well so confused me and wondering what that meant.

If your host (Cubase) run in 64bit, all the plugs have to run 64bit too. In the case of your native 32bit plug-ins, VST bridge (included with Cubase) will adapt those plugs to run in 64bit. The translation is transparent until you have bug with some plug-ins. Good for you if you’ve never had any problem !

Hope that is clear :wink:

what kind of cd are you using to burn? Maybe its a bad brand. Also if you play the cd using windows media player it will sound like crap cuz it is crap. Try another player.

I always have that problem too!
ROFL :laughing:

If you play the exported file with windows media play make sure the preferences is checked “24 bit cd” Or just use VLC player. This of course if the exported files is Wave 24 bit. MP3 is desame.

That’s another issue. When I open C6 64x it doesn’t recognize any of my 3rd party plug ins. I have mucho $$$$ in plugs and even though everything is set correctly in my plug in manager it won’t load them. The mixes do sound a bit better running in XP mode. When I first set this computer up my songs sounded amazing. Almost like comparing HD to analog. Windows and ASUS both did an overnight update (Thought I had turned off auto updates) after spending a week configuring and downloading my software and fine tuning my set up. I recorded my first project on the computer and was exited to get up and finish my mixes. I walked in my studio to see a fresh login screen like windows 7 was firing up for the first time. All of my software, my freshly recorded songs and tweaks were all gone. My restore points were gone and I didn’t have a chance to do a backup or an image yet. I had to start all over from scratch and it never sounded like it did originally and was unable to recover my files.
I think I’m going to take this computer back and have them do a fresh install and start over. I have backed up all of my programs and songs. Since the computer was built by Asus the have the license to the Windows program on the computer so Microsoft won’t help, they send you to Asus support which is the worst support I have ever dealt with. They are complete morons. My CPU meter is now going in the red on simple projects. I’m hoping this is a Windows problem. If not then Cubase 6 has issues.

I’ve had a few mixes that were close, just needed a touch more bottom end. I crank my eq +1 @ 80hz and re-export and everything changes and it’s hard to get back to where I had it. Changing the eq back doesn’t do it; I have to start all over. I’m stuck on this. My projects in SX3 running in compatibility mode sound much better and use far less CPU with double the number of tracks and plugins.

Should I do a fresh Windows 7 install and try to start from scratch?

Naw, here it sounds Sweet! :sunglasses:

DREADFUL! he he he :wink:

are you using realtime or quick export ?

i noticed in 5.5 that if you use quick export i would get bad digital artifacts and pahse cancellation and all sorts of nasties … try selecting realtime export it takes for ages but i got good quality exports

I started listening to some mixes I did in SX3 on this same computer and the kick in some of these mixdowns feels
like it’s going to break your windows it’s so punchy. Haven’t been able to come close to duplicating this in C6. I don’t get it, I’m using the same mic (Audix D6) and same plug ins, same eq settings. I can’t figure what the #^&%ing
problem is. I thougt it would be easier to get good mixes in the newer version.

A lot of people on Gearslutz say the vst bridge in Cubase6 does’nt work for 32bit vst’s working on a 64bit OS machine causeing problems & crashes.

Maybe you should not use any 32bit vst’s for an experiment.

This is the most crazy voodoo magic thread I’ve ever read.

There is no way that running Cubase in xp compat mode would make the same mix sound a little better. The same project on different PC configa (even with different OSes) will sound exactly the same on mixdown as long as you have all the needed plugs installed.

The idea that’s windows update would at all affect a mixdown sounds straight up crazy to me. Windows’ audio path isn’t even used as Cubase uses ASIO.

I am baffled. And there is so much random information here that I don’t know what to make of. Like do you have a project that was perfect before that opens up and sounds bad? It sounds good with SX3 on the same system? is it just your new projects that sound bad? What does burning a CD ha e to do with this? Can you just mix to a WAV?

I feel for you, man. I just have no idea what to make of this.

Think like this:
Nobody (so far) has heard of this kind of problem.
“S o m e t h i n g” has happened inside you computer.
Since the rest of the computer apart from C6 behaves predictable, it’s not a hardware issue(?)
You might be able to find what’s wrong after X hours of research …
… or you might need to reinstall Win7.

What if you think you find a way that makes the symptoms go away and then they return at the absolutely worst time imaginable :astonished:

If a reinstall of OS/C6 don’t help you know it’s a hardware issue. :confused:

You might as well grab the bull by the horns and reinstall Win7 and Cubase and have a fresh install directly? :sunglasses:

This is driving me mad too - mostly because there’s no method to the madness. k8stribe - I suggested earlier that you eliminate the whole CD burning process. If the exported wav played in WMP or itunes sounds the same as what you hear in Cubase, it’s not Cubase. It shouldn’t matter what you’re monitoring with.

Hehe, haven’t you gotten it yet?
This guys is very likely a troll.

Check his posts in this thread, he is incoherent, and does not answer questions and helpful advice.

I think we have a new Mark Hodge here only now he is not singing but having pc problems instead.

Onkel :sunglasses:

A troll with a license to C6? No just someone who is very confused.